Mt. Williamson by George Creek info?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Vladislav

by Vladislav » Tue May 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Vladislav wrote: By the way, what's that pyramid shaped peak on the right side of the first photo?

Answering my own question: this must be Brewer! It looks really impressive from this angle. Funny that I did not recognize one of my favorite mountains in the Sierra.

jspeigl

by jspeigl » Tue May 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Vladislav wrote:
Vladislav wrote: By the way, what's that pyramid shaped peak on the right side of the first photo?

Answering my own question: this must be Brewer! It looks really impressive from this angle. Funny that I did not recognize one of my favorite mountains in the Sierra.

It may be Thunder Mountain. In the photo it looks like it is seperate from Table Mountain by a single drainage.

no avatar
sdtrackrunner

by sdtrackrunner » Tue May 11, 2010 9:42 pm

The big obvious pyramid shaped mountain is Mt Tyndal... or did you mean in the far background on the skyline?

no avatar
sdtrackrunner

by sdtrackrunner » Tue May 11, 2010 9:43 pm

Also, if the OP could post some more photos of the approach slopes that show the quality of the snow coverage I would really appreciate it :)

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Wed May 12, 2010 12:57 am

When I went up George Creek, I was lucky to be able to go with Harry Langenbacher, who had been up there before. He carried an ammo box to be used as a register box all the way to the summit of Barnard on that trip. Anyway, he has some great info on George Creek on his site:

http://langenbacher.org/BarnardTrojan/

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Wed May 12, 2010 12:58 am

dynamokiev98 wrote:
sdtrackrunner wrote:The big obvious pyramid shaped mountain is Mt Tyndal... or did you mean in the far background on the skyline?

LOL he men't in the far background..the one right behind me is kind of obvious : )

I will post more pictures from the approach late tonight..but I could say about 3 first miles of the approach don't have snow..than there are some patches of snow...real snow(on one side of the creek, other side doesn't have any till higher up) starts I'd say about at about 9,500-10,500ft or so (it was my 1st time there, I didn't have an altimiter so just a guess).

That's about where the snow started when we were up there a couple years ago.

Matthew Holliman

by Matthew Holliman » Wed May 12, 2010 1:29 am

Vladislav wrote:

It's Thunder.

Vladislav

by Vladislav » Wed May 12, 2010 6:02 pm

jspeigl wrote:
Vladislav wrote:

It may be Thunder Mountain. In the photo it looks like it is seperate from Table Mountain by a single drainage.

It is Thunder, in fact! A more careful look at the map confirms this. Thanks, jspeigl and Matthew for catching my mistake

Previous

Return to California