Muztagh Ata

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
drubin

Muztagh Ata

by drubin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:13 pm

Hi, I will start climbing Muztagh Ata in two weeks and would like some advice before I leave. Thank you very much!

Poor Climber

by Poor Climber » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:24 pm

Welcome to SummitPost!

Advice concerning what?

Adding detail to your question will make it easier for people to answer your questions. :D

radson

by radson » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:17 am

I can recommend not drinking a bottle of scotch on the night prior to your departure as you might miss your plane to Urumqi.

drubin

by drubin » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:09 pm

good advice! might not be easy though as I really enjoy scotch! :D

drubin

by drubin » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:21 pm

Thanks for your answer. I would like to know in particular how cold it gets up there and what type of gear I should take and what if someone has any typs on how to deal with sleeping on this mountain for 20 days. Merci!

Poor Climber

by Poor Climber » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:34 pm

I would like to know in particular how cold it gets up there and what type of gear I should take and what if someone has any typs on how to deal with sleeping on this mountain for 20 days. Merci!

Shouldnt you already know these things if you are leaving in 2 weeks? Just curious?

drubin

by drubin » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:13 pm

Poor Climber wrote:
I would like to know in particular how cold it gets up there and what type of gear I should take and what if someone has any typs on how to deal with sleeping on this mountain for 20 days. Merci!

Shouldnt you already know these things if you are leaving in 2 weeks? Just curious?

I got some advice and bought some stuff. But I guess people who have alreday done it might be able to give some good typs!

Cy Kaicener

Muztagh Ata

by Cy Kaicener » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:40 pm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mu ... gle+Search
Summitpost also has a link on this page of Google search.

drubin

Re: Muztagh Ata

by drubin » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:56 pm

Cy Kaicener wrote:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=muztagh+ata&btnG=Google+Search
Summitpost also has a link on this page of Google search.

very useful! thank you!

radson

by radson » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:18 pm

hmm, well I guess plan for about -20 on summit day in bad conditions.

No-one in our group had down suits, just down jackets. A few people had nominal frost nip in the toes using AT boots.

I used a -25 deg bag and my partner who feels the cold a -40 deg bag. Obviously can get quite warm traversing from camps 1 to 3. On the route we took, there was quite a lot of crevasses. On summit day, we only got back to Camp 3 with use of GPS as we encountered total white out conditions.

drubin

by drubin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:11 pm

radson wrote:hmm, well I guess plan for about -20 on summit day in bad conditions.

No-one in our group had down suits, just down jackets. A few people had nominal frost nip in the toes using AT boots.

I used a -25 deg bag and my partner who feels the cold a -40 deg bag. Obviously can get quite warm traversing from camps 1 to 3. On the route we took, there was quite a lot of crevasses. On summit day, we only got back to Camp 3 with use of GPS as we encountered total white out conditions.

Thanks! This is what I've been told concerning the down jacket (down suit not necessary). They also told me to take a sleeping bag for the base camp (-15 deg minimum) and a sleeping bag for the altitude camps (-30 deg minimum). How many nights did you sleep on the mountain? Were you able to sleep?

David

radson

by radson » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:17 pm

Im Australian sleeping champion, I can sleep anywhere. Probably spent cumulative 7 days away from base camp. I had two sleeping bags. One form base camp and my Feathered Friends Peregrine which I took on my little tour up and down from camp 3.

Be warned Mustagh Ata, is not the most exciting climb. Good experience and west china is interesting, but the climb is a slog.

drubin

by drubin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:43 pm

radson wrote:Im Australian sleeping champion, I can sleep anywhere. Probably spent cumulative 7 days away from base camp. I had two sleeping bags. One form base camp and my Feathered Friends Peregrine which I took on my little tour up and down from camp 3.

Be warned Mustagh Ata, is not the most exciting climb. Good experience and west china is interesting, but the climb is a slog.

I'm French and don't sleep extremely well under a tent... did u suffer from altitude? were u able to eat up there?

radson

by radson » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:15 pm

ooh so tempted to make fun of the french but I shall refrain for now.

I had my worst AMS ever at base camp, throwing up, head spins, nausea etc. Once acclimatised and on the diamox, I was fine. As you are undoubtedly know, one person's anecdotal experience means almost nothing to another person.

I am sure you will get used to living in tents, there is not much choice. I hope who ever you are going with provides a nice base camp tent, that makes a big difference.

mad maximus

by mad maximus » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:30 pm

"Remember not to have a fatal accident, because the community will think climbing is a dangerous thing, your friends will be bummed... and you'll be dead."

- Kitty Calhoun from AAC lecture

Next

Return to Asia