My 6,000th post on SP

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Big Benn

My 6,000th post on SP

by Big Benn » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:31 am

Yep. This one is 6,000 :oops:

Wanted to do something special to celebrate, so I went through my collection of cards. You know. The little cards that some untidy people leave in telephone boxes. Rang one and was told if I wanted to do THAT it would be double normal price, treble price if I wanted to take photos at the same time.

So Instead I thought I'd try and show that whilst my 6,000 posts mainly came from PNP, ( :oops: ), I do sometimes get my Ugly Fat Bastard Ass into the mountains. Thereby just about having the right to be on SP proper. :D I hope. :shock:

Just back from my hardest winter trip ever. In Snowdon, Wales, where there is a real winter this year.

Photo 1. SW ridge up Moelwyn Mawr, circa 2,500 feet. I went up the day before I took this photo. I had less snow, and more visible ice, which I preferred as I got better grip walking on the bits next to the drops. I came "into shot" three quarters of the way down on the left, and after zig zagging up the small snow field partly in shadow I just followed the ridge line, like you do! I also walked into visibility of about 10 - 15 feet, and with the track covered in snow, and no footprints to follow I had some fun getting to the summit!

Oh. That woman I rang on the card. She's just rung back and said what I asked her to do has just sunk in, :D , and she called me a bloody pervert. :shock:

Back to Snowdonia. Last Saturday I walked the PYG track up Snowdon, (more than 3,500 feet). With loads of snow and ice I knew it would be very testing for me near the top, so I chose Saturday as I knew there would most likely be a few others on the route. This was after I had got up the hard bit. Circa 40% slope where those two guys are well below me. Fresh snow thankfully on hard packed snow and ice. I could only get up it by front pointing. I love saying that. Makes me think I'm a mountaineer or something! :oops:

Monday I had Snowdon totally to myself apart from two women I met going up when I was well on my way down. A superb day apart from walking into zero vis near the top and spending some time in very deep snow trying to find a reference point to take a compass reading at to get down again. Did scare myself a bit, I admit. Heard what could have been an avalanche over the other side of the ridge at the top, which didn't help my state of mind! Gale force winds at times and severe windchill too. My Iso drink froze almost solid.

These are the zig zags below, (you can just pick them out in the center of the photo) up the steepest bit. After that it was a slog over a large snowfield and up into the cloudbase. The summit was still a long way off after that mini summit in the photo!

Oh no. She's at the front door now. AND wearing what I asked her to. :shock: :oops: :D

Says she still thinks I'm a bloody pervert, but will do it for 4 times normal price, but with no photos!

In that case, bugger posting on SP to celebrate, I'm gonna pay up and enjoy it. :D

"Sod it. When I asked you to "SUBMIT", I didn't mean hit the keyboard with your ass and post that new thread on SP...................

.................can't I pay you when I've finished? I don't want to stop now I've got going just to get my cash out".

So SP'ers, here's to my next 6,000 posts! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"No, I wasn't talking to you. And it was POSTS I said. Not thrusts......"

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:07 pm

Nice shots ! :D

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:43 pm

Sweet Bryan!! Some really nice photos.

John Duffield put up a link on PnP alt so I came over to take a look.

Andinistaloco

Re: My 6,000th post on SP

by Andinistaloco » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:04 am

Bryan Benn wrote:Yep. This one is 6,000

Piker.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:56 am

Dirndl?

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:37 am

Seriously Bryan, great photos and post. I was just giving you a hard time for your sad little 6,000 posts... that all you got?

Jealous of the hiking and climbing you're doing! For me the schedule reads: February: rehab. March: rehab. April: overdo rehab, drink lots. May: rehab.

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:43 am

Andinistaloco wrote:Seriously Bryan, great photos and post. I was just giving you a hard time for your sad little 6,000 posts... that all you got?

Jealous of the hiking and climbing you're doing! For me the schedule reads: February: rehab. March: rehab. April: overdo rehab, drink lots. May: rehab.

Lets hope the rehab works and you get out onto the hills soon.

I will say I was very fortunate to get some really great photos, several hundred in fact that I am now editing down to a manageable collection. Dare I say it, :oops: the best are yet to come!, (one below).

I did plan the timing of my trip very carefully from the various weather forecasts etc. And it seems I hit the jackpot. Milder and wet there now, so all the low level snow will be gone, plus avalanche risk higher up.

View from heading up Snowdon last Saturday.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Looks great, Bryan! Looking forward to the trip report -- sounds like quite an adventure, and one with lessons that others might learn from.

Cy Kaicener

My 6000th post on SP

by Cy Kaicener » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:03 pm

Nice going youth :) . I wish I was 62 again.
Dont forget to post your website on Personal Websites when it is updated.
http://www.germanhikes.co.uk

Big Benn

Re: My 6000th post on SP

by Big Benn » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:10 pm

Cy Kaicener wrote:Nice going youth :) . I wish I was 62 again.
Dont forget to post your website on Personal Websites when it is updated.
http://www.germanhikes.co.uk

Good one Cy. I don't know what you are up to these days, but I reckon it makes my walks look like I am just going down to the Mall to do some shopping!

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:13 pm

Arthur Digbee wrote:Looks great, Bryan! Looking forward to the trip report -- sounds like quite an adventure, and one with lessons that others might learn from.

A lot of lessons for me to learn as well Arthur!

Like working out how to use a GPS.

And that the bag in the bottom of my rucksac with one pair of underpants and one toilet roll needs doubling up when I go up Snowdon again in weather like I had in the last week. :shock:

kakakiw

by kakakiw » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:36 pm

I was wondering what you were up too. Having fun!
Great job Bryan!

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:20 pm

Gary Schenk wrote:
Andinistaloco wrote:Seriously Bryan, great photos and post. I was just giving you a hard time for your sad little 6,000 posts... that all you got?

The rehab must not be working if you're still drinking. Those clinics suck, have you tried AA?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:21 pm

Gary Schenk wrote:

The rehab must not be working if you're still drinking. Those clinics suck, have you tried AA?

Ha!

Know what the difference is between a drunk and an alcoholic? Drunks don't have to go to those fucking meetings.

Seriously though... left shoulder, labrum tear. Right shoulder, torn cartilege. I can still hike but the climbing's 5.8 and under these days, when I do it at all. PT again today at 4pm, yeeeeeeeeeha. Maybe in a month or three I'll be able to crank again.

'till then I'll just enjoy Bryan's pics and you folks' trip reports and whatnot.

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:44 pm

Thanks... really it's not so bad as it sounds. My PT says the left shoulder could return without surgery if I'm lucky, and the right, hell, I've been climbing with it like that for years (though I can't climb two days in a row). Might get it fixed this year... my doc's eager to chop something up.

Next

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander