Nahanni

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
visentin

Nahanni

by visentin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:29 am

I am reading the Nahanni River book by Frison-Roche and really captivated by the story. I made few unsuccessful searches on SP to see if there were any pics of the area, and wondered if there are any. Otherwise I'd be curious to watch some other websites or Picasa galleries with wide pictures of the place.
Thanks !
Eric

Bill Kerr

by Bill Kerr » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:13 pm

nothing on summitpost. Some trip reports on Clubtred which is a western canadian outdoors site. http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32494&SearchTerms=nahanni

visentin

by visentin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:39 am

Thansk for the link. My curiosity lead me to make few images google searches on Nahanni, but I must say your link has the best images i've seen so far.
On SP I found the Cirque of the Unclimbables, in the Nahanni Park, but no idea if it's close to the river. At least the geology looks different, with granite towers while the river looks rather sedimentary.
http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/49 ... ables.html

KenGlover

by KenGlover » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:05 pm

You've discovered a great area! Your post showed up on my google alerts. I've only been here once but look forward to returning sometime. We approached the Cirque by canoe. It is about 10-15 hours walking from the river to the Cirque depending on how heavy your pack is. There is a rough trail from the river bank to Glacier lake. You need to cross this lake somehow then find the trail to the Cirque on the other side.
Most visitors to the Cirque fly by helicopter from a lodge in the Yukon directly to Fairy meadows camping area. 2nd most popular method is float plane from Ft Simpson to Glacier Lake. It has also been approached by walking from mining roads in the Yukon, down a tributary valley then bushwhacking down the Nahanni over a summer season.

The Nahanni River is spectacular in many ways, a big and diverse area - best seen by paddling down it. The water is relatively simple and popular with canoe groups. class 2 to 3 with big volume in the lower sections.
Only granite around is the Cirque. The river cuts through the dolomitised Devonian Nahanni reef complex in the lower canyons. Some loose steep climbing is possible here - some is ok but most is very loose.

I have a few pictures on picasa (kenergeo is the user name) and lots of info if you are thinking of going there - highly recommended.

visentin

by visentin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:27 am

KenGlover wrote:You've discovered a great area! Your post showed up on my google alerts. I've only been here once but look forward to returning sometime. We approached the Cirque by canoe. It is about 10-15 hours walking from the river to the Cirque depending on how heavy your pack is. There is a rough trail from the river bank to Glacier lake. You need to cross this lake somehow then find the trail to the Cirque on the other side.
Most visitors to the Cirque fly by helicopter from a lodge in the Yukon directly to Fairy meadows camping area. 2nd most popular method is float plane from Ft Simpson to Glacier Lake. It has also been approached by walking from mining roads in the Yukon, down a tributary valley then bushwhacking down the Nahanni over a summer season.

The Nahanni River is spectacular in many ways, a big and diverse area - best seen by paddling down it. The water is relatively simple and popular with canoe groups. class 2 to 3 with big volume in the lower sections.
Only granite around is the Cirque. The river cuts through the dolomitised Devonian Nahanni reef complex in the lower canyons. Some loose steep climbing is possible here - some is ok but most is very loose.

I have a few pictures on picasa (kenergeo is the user name) and lots of info if you are thinking of going there - highly recommended.

How did you get that with Google alerts ? :)
Thanks for the detailed answer. Unfortunately I live currently very far from those areas. Hanven't even been once out of Europe, and there are so many wild areas I'd like to visit if I could only go to Canada. I only read the bookI mentionned, and found it really interesting, couldn't help interrupting my reading from time to time in the evening to switch on the laptop and start some google searches to see how it looked like !
Your Picasa album really looks fantastic and I'm looking forward to watch it more.
Thanks !
Eric

KenGlover

by KenGlover » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:33 am

I'm glad you liked the pictures Eric, I hope you can see the place in person one day. Happy reading until then.

The google alerts are an RSS feed on web activity containing certain words - essentially a filter for public information. You can get this through your google account by email or rss.

visentin

by visentin » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:37 pm

KenGlover wrote:I'm glad you liked the pictures Eric, I hope you can see the place in person one day. Happy reading until then.

The google alerts are an RSS feed on web activity containing certain words - essentially a filter for public information. You can get this through your google account by email or rss.

Is any of your Picasa albums about the Nahanni river ? There are lots of wild places but I can't figure out which one :)

KenGlover

by KenGlover » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:38 pm

OK I will change the name of the Nahanni album so it is easier for you to find. It is near the bottom from August 2008. I have hundreds of photos of the area but these are just a few of my favorites.

visentin

by visentin » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:48 pm

KenGlover wrote:OK I will change the name of the Nahanni album so it is easier for you to find. It is near the bottom from August 2008. I have hundreds of photos of the area but these are just a few of my favorites.

These are just the best of the Nahanni river I've seen on the net, and which provide a real feeling of beeing there ! Do you usually upload all of this to SP ? There are certainly some great pages to do ! (a Nahanni canyon page would be extraordinary... :) )

KenGlover

by KenGlover » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:20 am

Wow, thanks Eric, I'm glad you are enjoying them! and not a bad idea about the canyon page. I don't always upload photos to Picasa and even less to this site, usually I just transfer them onto a hard drive. But right now I am injured and not seeing enough of the world with my own eyes, so maybe I'll have some time to organise photos soon.

visentin

by visentin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:53 am

Yep, SP is a great mean to stay in touch with mountains when far from them. I use Picasa for my private photos, but I usually don't upload mountain stuff because I have far too much, and many of my relatives find it boring ! :) So I mostly use SP to store my mountain photos. What's more it's fun to classify them, and nice to see when all sorted in the end in the appropriate themes ! (peak/areas, etc) Perhaps you should consider using the upload tool by member MVS if you have too much.

Return to Canada and Alaska