naughty dogs

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.
ClimbandBike

by ClimbandBike » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:00 pm

battledome wrote:
I may ruffle a few feathers with this but I find owning a pet to be silly, selfish (most of the time) and expensive.

Funny... I feel the same way about bikes... :?

And kids.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:40 pm

squishy wrote: I will defend myself, it is foolish for owners to put their pet in such danger especially when they're breaking the law while doing so...

My standard line, when the animal is threatening and the owner feels it's a LOL, is to say, "If it bites me, I feed it your heart". Usually works.

Still, I can't forget the time in the High Atlas of Morocco, I was grinding up a dirt track for about 20 - 30 km. Two shepherds were lounging amused by their two dogs taking me on. I was tired and there was simply no where to run. Just had to ease away constantly reaching down to touch the ground (dog thinks you're picking up a rock).

Tonka

by Tonka » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:13 pm

I am shocked that the dog lovers haven't chimed in yet, they always do, with something like "you touch my dog, I kill you"...The courts will have no problem with that case when your dog should have never been off it's leash...

I too am shocked.

I was running last evening on a paved trail and in front of me I see a guy with a pitbull on a leash and he is on the left side of the trail. I then see his daughter on the right side of the trail with what looks to be a pitbull/bulldog mix on a leash. The problem here was his daughter was not even two F-N years old and I had to run right between them. If that dog wanted to go this tiny kid was not going to stop it. I just gave him a look but of course after passing really regretted not opening my yap.

ClimbandBike

by ClimbandBike » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:00 pm

John Duffield wrote:My standard line, when the animal is threatening and the owner feels it's a LOL, is to say, "If it bites me, I feed it your heart". Usually works.

Is that from Conan the Barbarian's Guide to Dog Whispering?

"Conan, what is best in life?
To crush your enemies, to see their hearts fed to their dogs, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Seriously though, people who are irresponsible with their dogs just make it harder for people who are responsible. There are so many places all ready off-limits to pets not picking up after them or keeping them leashed when appropriate just adds to the list and people's bad feelings. I like dogs, have a dog and want to be able to keep bringing them with me when I can.

A definite upside of having a dog is you stay away from spots full of tourons.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:10 pm

A 13-year-old dog should NOT be allowed on Everest. I blame irresponsible dog owners.

simonov

by simonov » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:31 pm

Tonka wrote:I may ruffle a few feathers with this but I find owning a pet to be silly, selfish (most of the time) and expensive.

I really feel a deep sympathy for people who are unable to have experienced the love of a dog. It is truly one of the great blessings of life.

Tonka

by Tonka » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:16 pm

redneck wrote:
Tonka wrote:I may ruffle a few feathers with this but I find owning a pet to be silly, selfish (most of the time) and expensive.

I really feel a deep sympathy for people who are unable to have experienced the love of a dog. It is truly one of the great blessings of life.

Been there done that. I've had pets and I don't dislike animals. I've made an adult decision that pets are not for me. The costs and issues far out weight the benefits. I get along great with my friends pets so if for some odd reason I need a little pet love (insert llama joke here) I would just give them a call.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:33 pm

redneck wrote:I really feel a deep sympathy for people who are unable to have experienced the love of a dog. It is truly one of the great blessings of life.

I really feel a deep sympathy for people who are unable to have experienced the love of another person. It is truly one of the great blessings of life.

Of course, the advantages over dogs are less barking, less slobber, and less shit in the yard to pick up. A human companion usually smells much better too. :D

Smoove910

by Smoove910 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Day Hiker wrote:
redneck wrote:I really feel a deep sympathy for people who are unable to have experienced the love of a dog. It is truly one of the great blessings of life.

I really feel a deep sympathy for people who are unable to have experienced the love of another person. It is truly one of the great blessings of life.

Of course, the advantages over dogs are less barking, less slobber, and less shit in the yard to pick up. A human companion usually smells much better too. :D

Unfortunately the trade-off is all the bitching. Barking, slobber, and shit doen't seem too bad in comparison now. :lol:

Tracy

by Tracy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:16 pm

To see whether a human you love or a dog you love has a greater capacity to love you back, try confining your wife and your dog together in the trunk of you car for thirty minutes. When you let them out see which one is happier to see you. :twisted:

ClimbandBike

by ClimbandBike » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:08 am

This dog has at least one thing up on us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxF0RFqxbCM&NR=1

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:41 am

The Dude wrote:I thought this was about Tiger Woods or Ben Roelsthesberger... sorry my bad!

Here you go

visentin

by visentin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:34 pm

I bought recently a rescue whistle. It works a threat. Such whistle generate an amazingly strong sound which I can barely myself support. Tested on random dogs today morning, categoric :)

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:41 pm

studmuffin451 wrote:
ClimbandBike wrote:This dog has at least one thing up on us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxF0RFqxbCM&NR=1

That was nasty and hysterical. He even cleaned up after.

haha that was good, he will get bored of that and start sucking a bet, you just wait and see. :D

PreviousNext

Return to Mountain Medicine & Rescue