Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Need a Jumpstart - Trip Planning - AZ

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Postby Bubba Suess » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:44 pm

That is Sedona.
Bubba Suess

Postby jdzaharia » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:That is Sedona.

Okay, I'm getting a little confused by the term "Sedona." Obviously, there's a town called Sedona, which I think I understand. And the red rock area around that town seems to be referred to as Sedona. So, is "Sedona" within the Coconino National Forest? Or is there some other entity that manages the public areas where hiking and outdoor recreation is available? State Parks, City Parks, Private, etc?
jdzaharia

Postby Bubba Suess » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:35 pm

Sedona can refer to the region, town and the red rocks that surround the town. Most of the trails are going to be within Coconino National Forest. A lot of the routes will be in the Red Rocks-Secret Mountain, Sycamore Canyon and Munds Mountain Wilderness Areas, which are managed by Coconino NF.
Bubba Suess

Postby jdzaharia » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:48 pm

Thanks a lot, Bubba Suess. Looks like Coconino NF has a pretty informative website, too.

Shifting gears a little, is it realistic to expect to drive a car to the trailhead for this peak http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... peaks.html ? I hope this isn't where DayHiker took the photo he posted. Lone Pine Saddle TH.
jdzaharia

Postby Clark_Griswold » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:35 am

The pics from page one are taken from the new Red Rocks Sedona USFS visitor center on AZ Highway 179 just south of the V.O.C., or Village of Oak Creek. Bell Rock is the small bell shaped formation in the center of one of the pics, and Courthouse Butte is on the right of Bell. There is a Wendy's just up the road. I have had their Spicy Chicken, and it was good.

The HikeArizona.com hike difficulty ratings are a subjective rating system used by the author to indicate a level of hiking difficulty. Some peoples 3 is another's 2, and yet another's 5, so read the description and look at the elevation gain and mileage to make your own determination. It has no relationship to the Yosemite Decimal System or any other system. Do not confuse it for the hike rating given to it by the hikers, that is just a preference rating that lets other people know how good they thought the hike was. With more ratings a consensus can build to give people a good idea of what is generally thought of the hike.
Last edited by Clark_Griswold on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clark_Griswold

Postby Andinistaloco » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:41 am

And your second pic is of UN5258 - sometimes called "The Transept" - probably due to its proximity to Cathedral Rock. It's a fairly straightforward scramble.
Andinistaloco

Location: Flagstaff, Arizona, The Great Southwest, United States

Postby Clark_Griswold » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:43 am

Andinistaloco wrote:And your second pic is of UN5258 - sometimes called "The Transept" - probably due to its proximity to Cathedral Rock. It's a fairly straightforward scramble.

Is that the one between Bell and Courthouse in pic one? Class 3?
Clark_Griswold

Postby Andinistaloco » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:51 am

The one between Bell and Courthouse is UN5558 - often called East Twin Butte. There was some 4th class kind of stuff the way I went, but I suppose it's entirely possible that there's an easier way....
Andinistaloco

Postby jspeigl » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:05 am

Here's a picture of Sedona to give you an idea of the town and the surrounding red sandstone.

jspeigl

Postby Clark_Griswold » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:58 am

jspeigl wrote:Here's a picture of Sedona to give you an idea of the town and the surrounding red sandstone.

Capitol Butte!
Clark_Griswold

Postby Andinistaloco » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:34 am

jhodlof wrote:
jspeigl wrote:Here's a picture of Sedona to give you an idea of the town and the surrounding red sandstone.

Capitol Butte!

Dude, did you see Larry's pic of it? Check this out.

That bastard. Been climbing in Sedona for 12 years and I have exactly 0 shots like that one. :wink:
Andinistaloco

Postby Rick B » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:52 pm

How about Monument Valley? I'm planning a similar short trip in Arizona / Utah, and Monument Valley was on my shortlist, but nobody has suggested it so far (or maybe not by that name?)
Rick B

Postby Andinistaloco » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:33 pm

Problem with Monument Valley is that the hiking and climbing is extremely limited, as most of it's on private land or in other areas with restricted access. It is incredible, though.
Andinistaloco

Postby coldfoot » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:40 am

The hikearizona.com ratings seem to be mostly difficulty based on strenuousness of hike (length, elevation etc.) and aren't indicative of technical nature. Some hikes I know that are rated 4 or 5 in "difficulty" are long and hard, but Class 1 all the way on paths easy to follow.

Arizona is a big state. I don't think you can easily plan a short trip from a relatively unorganized site like hikearizona. This is a time when you could use a real paper guidebook that has seen the touch of an editor, like the Hiking Arizona book, or pick an area and get a book for that location. It doesn't have to be the perfect book, just one that names a few good outings in your desired place. Have fun.
coldfoot

PreviousNext

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)