Need recommendations for large & lightweight Backpack

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
BigMitch

Need recommendations for large & lightweight Backpack

by BigMitch » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:31 am

Sorry to beat this topic to death, but I have a slightly different twist on my request.

I need recommendations for a backpack as large as my 1992 Terraplane (about 6000 ci), but weighs as little as possible.

I want to make a backpack/sled combo similar to some of the photos already posted on Summit Post. Except for using the Crazy Carpet sled, I will use a real sled.

I want to do a 3 day-135 mile unsupported cross country ski trek under very cold conditions (20F to -35F) across Northern Minnesota in early February.

So I plan on using a backpack and attaching a sled to the outside of it. When on flat terrian, I will ski dragging the backpack/sled combo. When on steep hilly terrain, I will ski wearing the backpack/sled combo. When it is too cold to ski because of lack of glide (e.g., below -20F), I will hike while dragging the backpack/sled combo.

My current set up of Terraplane/48" plastic sled weighs on my scale:

Terraplane (XL) 8.5 lbs
Sled 3.5 lbs

Since the Terraplane is most of the weight, that is where my focus is. I expect to be in sled mode 2/3 of the time and in backpack mode 1/3 of the time.

I will not be carrying a monster load, but probably 25-30 pounds. But, I need a large capacity pack to contain all of my bulky stuff: sleeping bag, mountaineering parka, insulated jacket and pants, Expedition Mitts, etc.

The Go Lite Odyssey is a candidate, but runs a little small at 5500 ci. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:43 am

Hi, I was also looking for a lightweight Winter backpack.

I currently have a L Osprey Atmos 35 (38L) that fits me very well so I looked at other Osprey offerings and several Gregory's.

I was Impressed by the Osprey Aether 70. I also tried the Atmos 65 but when loaded out it kinda pulled on me too much and was harder to get comofortable with it but it was ok (of course, winter clothing provides much more padding! so its worth looking into) The Gregory's had a too large (for me) lumbar pad that put too much pressure on my lower back (im kinda flat back there).

The Aether had all the right features (can carry ski's) but looks clean. I also checked out the Osprey Argons and they had even more features, more padding (ideal for summer) and were much larger (heavier).

KevinCraig

by KevinCraig » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:05 am

Check out the Cilogear 75L (4.5 lbs). Fully extended I'm sure this would be into the Terraplane volume. Their intermediate size packs carry loads very well for the weight so I suspect the big ones do too.

DanielWade

by DanielWade » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:14 am

I like the CiloGear stuff too. I would also look at the TNF Prophet 65, Black Diamond Quantum 65, and the Wild Things Andinista. Light is right, especially for carrying bulky items that don't weight a ton.

Snowy

Large and Light

by Snowy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:24 pm

There are a couple of packs that I would seriously look at if I were in your position. First is the Wild Things Andinista (as mentioned above). It's not cheap, and if you want some frame you're out of luck, but it is a pretty well built pack and a true classic in the category. I think it comes in around 5500 c.i.
http://www.wildthingsgear.com/prod_packs.php

I also really like Pod Sacs. VERY durable fabrics, clean, simple designs, and fully strippable. You can pull the lid, hip-belt, and frame to drop weight. The X-pod (the big one) is @ 75L (+ a 15L storm collar = 5500 c.i.) All up it's just over 5lbs., and stripped it's about 2lb. 11 oz. Worth a look, and about $100 less than an Andinista. http://www.prolitegear.com/pod-sac-x-pod-backpack.html

If I were you, I'd consider going with the X-Pod, pulling the frame to get it really light for your proposed ski touring, and having an awesome int. frame modular pack for other mountain exploits in the future.

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:01 am

Thank you for all of your help with these good suggestions. They are much appreciated.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:23 am

I'm a big fan of Osprey packs for their light weight and ability to carry heavy loads while being comfortable. Perhaps an Aether 85 at 5 pounds might do the job.

Out of curiosity can you tell me why you plan to carry your sled or, for that matter, all your gear in your pack at times? Wouldn't you pull your sled even on steep sections instead of carrying it? Also, climbers are in a similar scenario on mountains such as Denali and we always pull our sleds with a light load in them like just our sleeping bags. This way we can go with smaller, lighter packs.

Good luck on your trip and let us know how it goes.

no avatar
crackers

by crackers » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:35 pm

KevinCraig wrote:Check out the Cilogear 75L (4.5 lbs). Fully extended I'm sure this would be into the Terraplane volume. Their intermediate size packs carry loads very well for the weight so I suspect the big ones do too.

I own cilogear, so take that under advisement.

The 75L is significantly larger than the old Terraplanes. It's the same girth as an Astralplane, only three inches shorter.

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:27 am

Yes, I can drag the sled up the hills. But, I would prefer to ski the very steep downhills wearing the backpack/sled rather than to fight a sled. I have a lot of field tests to perform.

Moni

by Moni » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:41 am

Look at the packs Deuter makes - great suspension for the weight.

no avatar
The Chief

Re: Need recommendations for large & lightweight Backpac

by The Chief » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:02 am

BigMitch wrote:I will not be carrying a monster load, but probably 25-30 pounds. But, I need a large capacity pack to contain all of my bulky stuff: sleeping bag, mountaineering parka, insulated jacket and pants, Expedition Mitts, etc.

If your not actually carrying it, get a Metolius Mega Duffle!!

* 7500 cu. in. (123 L)
* 33"x 17"x 15" (838 mm x 432 mm x 381 mm)
* 4 lb. 10 oz. (1.8 kg)
* Color: assorted
* Price: $129.00

It will more than handle your "bulky" load.

OR!

If you ARE carrying the load, a FISH BUDGET HAUL BAG seems to be in order.

Carries 7500 cu. in. and only weighs 5.6 lbs...$112.00 ea

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:46 pm

Now that looks like the ticket! Thanks.

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:46 pm

Brad Marshall wrote:I'm a big fan of Osprey packs for their light weight and ability to carry heavy loads while being comfortable. Perhaps an Aether 85 at 5 pounds might do the job.

Out of curiosity can you tell me why you plan to carry your sled or, for that matter, all your gear in your pack at times? Wouldn't you pull your sled even on steep sections instead of carrying it? Also, climbers are in a similar scenario on mountains such as Denali and we always pull our sleds with a light load in them like just our sleeping bags. This way we can go with smaller, lighter packs.

I'll add my 2 cents for the Osprey 85. Mine has served me well. It also compresses very well to make do as a summit pack.

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:42 am

Cilo Gear 75L or a 60L if ya can cram into it. They carry great and Cilo Gear really stands behind their products. I've had nothing but positive experiences.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:40 pm

Grampahawk wrote:
Brad Marshall wrote:I'm a big fan of Osprey packs for their light weight and ability to carry heavy loads while being comfortable. Perhaps an Aether 85 at 5 pounds might do the job.

I'll add my 2 cents for the Osprey 85. Mine has served me well. It also compresses very well to make do as a summit pack.

I own a Aether 85 and its super. Compresses well and fits perfect. Its real light weight but still pretty tough.

Next

Return to Gear