Need to impress my wife

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
EastKing

by EastKing » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:27 pm

I think the key here is Honeymoon. This is the starter of your marriage and supposed to be the best time. Ask your wife what she wants to do here before making plans! Surprises never work out to your advantage.

I have done some stuff by Dolly Sods, West Virginia which is Class 3 and 4 as an off trail bushwhack when I was in college. It was pretty and nice but it doesn't stand out as one of my best moments. It wasn't a place I would take my wife for romance either. Not trying to bash my hometown area (grew up in Maryland and spent many years hiking in West Virginia and Maryland) , but you can do better even with low income.

Though some of this might not be Class 3 or 4 or specifically in Maryland, Pennslyvania, or West Virginia, here are some other cool ideas.

Lower grade local adventures-

1)Luray, Virginia-Shenandoahs-VA

2)Seneca Rocks State Park-Canaan Valley-WV

3)Rocky Gap Sate Park-Maryland

4)Snowshoe, WV

5)Laurel Highlands, PA

Higher grade adventures

1)The Great Range Traverse (Adirondacks)-Multiple summits, scrambly thrilling sections, and you grab the highest peak in New York. Plus many of nice romantic hotels in Lake Placid (or cheap stays if you are struggling)

2)The Presidential Traverse (White Mountains)-No class 3 or 4 stuff but great scenery and lots of summits. Plus many of nice romantic hotels in North Conway (or cheap stays if you are struggling in Twin Mountain)

3)Grandfather Mountain (North Carolina)-Lots of scrambling on a well known mountain. Plus many of nice romantic hotels in Boone (or cheap stays if you are struggling)

4)If you are willing put down some money-Go west (guided course up Rainier in summer)(Colorado-Longs Peak, Mount Sneffels, etc.)

5)If you REALLY WANT TO IMPRESS her-Pico de Orizaba (Mexico; 3rd highest in North America) That will be make your honeymoon stand real tall!!!!!!

Remember this is your honeymoon and you want to create positive memories that can last a lifetime. Having a well known peak in your honeymoon treat will be something the both of you can always looks back. It will make a difference in your marriage for years to come.

soad

by soad » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:18 pm

The Chief wrote:There's a lot of "I's", "Me" and "My" in yur OP.

Ya really wanna impress yur wife on yur Honeymoon?

ASK HER WHAT SHE WANTS TO DO and then go do it...TOGETHER!

I guarantee ya that she will NEVER FORGET THAT!

Ever SURPRISE your wife/girlfriend? What's better....coming up with an awesome Christmas present and watching her face as she opens it, or asking her "what you want?" on Dec 23 and getting overnight shipping from amazon?

EastKing wrote:3)Grandfather Mountain (North Carolina)-Lots of scrambling on a well known mountain. Plus many of nice romantic hotels in Boone (or cheap stays if you are struggling)

Beech Mountain has some very romantic B&B's with wonderful views of Grandfather Mountain.

e-doc

by e-doc » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:13 pm

Use one of the wonderful ideas, just make sure you go in a impending blizzard/hurricane/severe weather; make some sandwiches with day old mayo thats been sitting out of the fridge. Make sure they're no Urgent Cares or pharmacy nearby, in fact don't take your insurance enrollment card. Get stranded!!!! Now THATS a recipe for a honeymoon you won't forget! :shock:

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:00 pm

The Chief wrote:There's a lot of "I's", "Me" and "My" in yur OP.

Ya really wanna impress yur wife on yur Honeymoon?

ASK HER WHAT SHE WANTS TO DO and then go do it...TOGETHER!

I guarantee ya that she will NEVER FORGET THAT!

A piece of advice worth taking!

mmcguigan

Let Her Lead!

by mmcguigan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:41 am

I took my wife camping for our honeymoon 30 years ago and she never forgot it - and never lets me forget!

EastKing

by EastKing » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:03 am

e-doc wrote:Use one of the wonderful ideas, just make sure you go in a impending blizzard/hurricane/severe weather; make some sandwiches with day old mayo thats been sitting out of the fridge. Make sure they're no Urgent Cares or pharmacy nearby, in fact don't take your insurance enrollment card. Get stranded!!!! Now THATS a recipe for a honeymoon you won't forget! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness make sure to start off the marriage on the right track. If she wants adventure ask her first and then go all out (if financially possible) and go for a guided trip up Orizaba during the winter months or a guided trip up Rainier during the summer months. It will cost more but there will be less stress on you to deliver and the both of you can share on a new adventure. Seriously check my list above!

If not than compromise with her. Maybe go to a place with multiple options where she can do the things she wants to do and you can do the things you want to do.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:03 pm

:shock:

good man.

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:15 pm

grammys11 wrote:Do what she wants to do... happy wife, happy life...

Or, to put it more colloquially:

If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

no avatar
Roam Around

by Roam Around » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:55 pm

lots of advice here for a guy that never logged back in after asking his question.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:17 pm

maybe they got divorced?! :twisted:

Previous

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)