New Injury...

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:11 pm

Are you taking any anti-platelet drug, like a baby aspirin a day?

I've gotten some massive bruising and swelling from just stretching too much (too fast), no break involved. My latest was 4 weeks ago with a grade 2 sprained ankle; most impressive was a hamstring sprain that left a swollen B&B patch of about 600 cm^2. The little blood vessels and lymph passages break and bleed into the skin. I've also had massive hematomas from impacts on the ulna, no broken bones.

RICE for the first 48 hours?

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:56 pm

nerve damage like that can last a while some times. I was bouldering and came off weird and did something to my arm - it happended so fast, I dont know what exactly. But, the numbness was in my hand for months.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:03 am

The thing was, the hospital in Bangkok fixed me right up. Had me on an IV so I was like at 80 - 90% in 2 days. I think you'll be back in 100% action earlier with good medical attention.

That said, I'll "10" the TR for this Saturday however it goes. Photos a plus. My guess is, it won't be any fun just driving there.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:16 am

MoapaPk wrote:Are you taking any anti-platelet drug, like a baby aspirin a day?

I've gotten some massive bruising and swelling from just stretching too much (too fast), no break involved. My latest was 4 weeks ago with a grade 2 sprained ankle; most impressive was a hamstring sprain that left a swollen B&B patch of about 600 cm^2. The little blood vessels and lymph passages break and bleed into the skin. I've also had massive hematomas from impacts on the ulna, no broken bones.

RICE for the first 48 hours?

Thanks for the FREE and good advice....massive hematoma from the impact of the ulna...sounds like my deal...thrown for a loop that all the swelling and discolor were over 12" away from impact....but will assume Guy is accurate in that blood flows down hill. Doing the ice and baby aspirn....wife has me and dog on same schedule when it comes to baby aspirn. Our drugs and vitamins are pretty much interchangable so if one of us passes, the other can still get use out of them...the dog I am talking about. Cheers all and thanks.

ksolem

by ksolem » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:54 am

If you can, keep your hand and forearm elevated especially when you're sleeping.

If it was me, and it isn't noticeably improved by tomorrow I'd be down at the sports ortho scrapping for an x-ray and an mri.

Good luck, let us know how things develop.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:37 am

Just to clarify: anti-platelet drugs make one bleed a lot more than "normal". Aspirin suppresses the platelets for at least 5 days after a dose of 40 mg or more.

Ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxin ... will all eventually become anti-inflammatory, but the effect won't really become strong for a few days.

Fury

by Fury » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:14 am

Geez, take care of yourself Dow. If you would climb at my grades these sorts of things wouldn't happen.

Get better soon.

Colin

fossana

by fossana » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:34 am

granite4brains wrote:nerve damage like that can last a while some times. I was bouldering and came off weird and did something to my arm - it happended so fast, I dont know what exactly. But, the numbness was in my hand for months.

I had a similar thing happen after whacking my elbow while bouldering. For the next 6 months even lightly touching the same spot on my elbow would make my finger go numb.

Dow, with the bruising your situation sounds a lot more severe. Hope it heals quickly.

Bill Kerr

by Bill Kerr » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:23 pm

Doesn't sound good and best not to ignore it as you may end up with permanent damage and strength loss if not treated in time and properly.

I tore/strained my groin muscle/cords on one side when I blew a ski off on an icy 45 degree slope. My inner leg was purple and yellow down past my knee as the blood ran down the muscle/cord sheath. RICE for a week and then physio - ultrasound, massage, heat/cold, strengthening and stretching to work out the blood and scar tissure. Have to do all this to prevent shortening, loss of strength, range of motion and risk of reinjury. Slow frustrating rehab and not cheap but what is your health worth. Got it all back plus as the regular stretching routine has helped improve my hockey and skiing.

Take care.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:39 pm

Dow Williams wrote:
John Duffield wrote:Tendon damage? I don't know much about it, except for this...

My cycling buddy got "Popeye" arm. One end of the Bicep popped off and it curled up in his arm. Didn't go in for a week. They told him if he'd gone in right away, they could've sewed it back on. But now? He has to live with it. Funny thing is, he looks really strong. Thing sticks right up. But he isn't.

I know this isn't what you want to hear and I'm sorry for that. Of course I tend to be a baby Medically. Twice in Asian hospitals already this year.

Dude, that is a sad story...NFL defensive linebackers and safties get torn bicep injuries from making tackles....man does that take a man down a notch or two from what I have witessed....no easy injury to overcome and of course they have the best of medicine and rehab...and John we know you are visiting Asian hospitals for the same reason Peter V, Jason W and I climb steep ice in the Canadian Rockies...for the chicks! Cheers

Doesn"t sound like a tendon. I just suffered a distal biceps tendon rupture and got out of the hospital yesterday after surgery. You would have heard a popping sound and have definite swelling either above or below the bicep depending on the tendon.

ksolem

by ksolem » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:01 pm

A lot depends on which bicep (inner or outer) and which end (proximal or distal) is ruptured.

I tore off the proximal (shoulder end) of my left outer bicep years ago, did not know when it happenned. I have a bit of the popeye thing going on but it does not affect my strength in any significant way.

I tore off the same thing on the right side and had it fixed along with the rest of the savaged rotator cuff a few weeks after the event because the surgeon wanted the swelling to recede some before he went in. The key here is having a surgeon who is hip to the technique of attaching the outer bicep tendon directly to the front of the humerus rather than trying to re attach it into the original insertion into the shoulder.

Any tyime some doctor tells me bad news I go for a second opinion. At least if you get bad news twice or thrice you can figure it's actually true.

Previous

Return to Technique and Training