New Peak Page in Banff - Ptarmigan Peak

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
gimpilator

New Peak Page in Banff - Ptarmigan Peak

by gimpilator » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:46 pm

Ptarmigan Peak - 3077 meters

I'm kind of surprised that this peak has been overlooked until now.

Bill Kerr

Re: New Peak Page in Banff - Ptarmigan Peak

by Bill Kerr » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:11 am

There are not that many Canadians who are active contributers on Summitpost. Dow has setup most of whatever has been contributed but there are probably over 1000 mountains that are not in SP in just the Canadian Rockies let alone interior and coast ranges. A lot of them do not have names and most are rarely climbed unless they show up in a scrambles or climbing book or have an interesting route.

Bivouac has the most complete listing but it costs to join.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:26 am

Bill Kerr wrote:There are not that many Canadians who are active contributers on Summitpost. Dow has setup most of whatever has been contributed but there are probably over 1000 mountains that are not in SP in just the Canadian Rockies let alone interior and coast ranges. A lot of them do not have names and most are rarely climbed unless they show up in a scrambles or climbing book or have an interesting route.

Bivouac has the most complete listing but it costs to join.

Well that's your backyard Bill, get on it!! :wink: Thanks for your help with the peak names, been a few Banff Albums recently so I'll wait to put mine out there. I have our reservations for mid September, can't wait to get back to Canmore/Banff!! Looks like Ptarmigan Peak should be on my list, nice page Gimpilator.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:14 pm

Most of us avid scramblers have done it, but along with Pika and Richardson as a traverse of all three. I got behind with too many climbs and mountains when I did this traverse and just never got it added. I would be surprised if Bill hasn't done it as well. But, yes, the Canadian Rockies are huge....if you think all the peaks and routes of the Canadian Rockies are presented on the internet, you are naive as to the scope and size of the area. Bill and I just don't post up to alert you if we added a page, but have added many of the scrambles for the area. Glad you got to enjoy some of the pristine Canadian Rocky Mountain wilderness. They want to start busing tourists up the hill into Skoki. I sure hope they don't.

brendon

by brendon » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:53 pm

The "north country" is amazingly huge and rugged. Take North Cascades NP and Glacier NP, make them better, and extend them for 1000 miles. Then, top them off with the Icefield Ranges and the AK Range.

This comparison outline ( http://mapfrappe.com/?show=3428 ) is just the coast ranges starting at Vancouver BC up to the Alaska Range. The Canadian Rockies aren't even in there. Throw in the Yukon ranges and the Brooks, endless mountain paradise.

Return to Canada and Alaska