newbie rope question

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
queasy

newbie rope question

by queasy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:04 am

Is it reasonable to use the same rope for rock(TR, sport) as well as for snow(glacier) and ice (TR)? Or is it more common to have a rope for each? I was thinking about a first rope, and thought it would be nice to get one that could work for everything in a decent manner, ie-mid 9mm, dry treated...thoughts?

brenta

by brenta » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:24 am

Yes, you can buy a rope like the one you describe and it will work for most applications. Of course, it will be less than optimal, but you know that. Mostly, you'll be carrying around a bit more weight than necessary.

Bascuela

Re: newbie rope question

by Bascuela » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:28 am

queasy wrote:Is it reasonable to use the same rope for rock(TR, sport) as well as for snow(glacier) and ice (TR)? Or is it more common to have a rope for each? I was thinking about a first rope, and thought it would be nice to get one that could work for everything in a decent manner, ie-mid 9mm, dry treated...thoughts?

I had that same question, thanks for asking. Guessing that dry treated is really the way to go.

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:36 am

If you're new and just plan to do a year or so of TRing you can go with a cheaper non-dry rope. On top rope you could even use the static line off a spool, as long as you are using it without slack. No point in wearing out an expensive rope on TR.

On snow ice or in rain you need dry rope. I've experienced a non-dry rope in the rain and it can hold an amazing amount of water.

Return to Gear