Newbie with questions on Katahdin.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Fatherof2

Newbie with questions on Katahdin.

by Fatherof2 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:09 pm

Hi Gang,

I am going to be hiking Mt. Katahdin on September 13th with my 9 year old son. Just a few basic questions. I have very little experience.

1. Is there running water at Chimney Pond? I am staying in a lean-to on Saturday night. Hoping to be able to re-fill the water bottles at the camp site.

2. About how long of a hike is it from the parking lot to Chimney Pond. (For slow inexperienced hikers.)

3. Are mosquitoes a big issue in mid September? Do I need a net? What is the best way to handle that?

4. I am planning on renting a back pack and sleep pads from REI. Should I get a stove too? Any good meal suggestions? My son is picky.

Any other input or advice is appreciated!

Thank you,

David

Tools_Incoming

Re: Newbie with questions on Katahdin.

by Tools_Incoming » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:31 pm

Hey- enjoy the trip. I did Katahidn last year in August and loved it.

(1) (IIRC) I swear that I remember there being a well and a pump that we filled up at. I don't remember for sure, though.

(2) It's not long per say, but its river rock most of the way...which is a pain on your ankles and makes for non-consistent progress IMO

(3) In August we didn't see too many mosquitos, but we got destroyed by the black flies. They got everyone and were the worst part of the trip. Once you get above tree line they more or less disappear, but below tree line you are just inundated with them. Horrendous.

(4) If you want to cook, gonna need a stove. That being said, if you both can subsist on power bar sort of stuff and snacks then you might be ok without it.

What route you are taking up and down? We planned for the Knife's Edge but got rained out...

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:00 pm

Couple of hours from Roaring Brook to Chimney Pond...no big deal.
You should not encounter any bugs to speak of in mid-September.

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:38 pm

Could be out of date, but I don't think they have a well at Chimney Pond:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?37475-Chimney-Pond-BW-Campground-Questions
I'd bring a UV water bottle. Essentially no extra weight, and you can purify with no hassle just about anywhere. This version costs about $99: http://www.gizmag.com/camelbak-all-clear-uv/21413/ I've had an older version for 10 years or so and it's kept me healthy. Or, if you don't mind the taste, you could just bring iodine tablets, which cost just a few bucks.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:59 pm

fo2, are you just going to Chimney Pond? Or do you intend to summit?

I have seen epic bugs at Chimney Pond, as well. Came down Cathedral were all tuckered out and sprawled at the pond for a break. Got eaten alive.

There was also one day, where there was a ton of wind above the treeline and all the Yellow Jackets were blown into the gullies of the trail. Between the rocks of the Helon Taylor near the treeline. Had to close your eyes and just power through clouds of them.

I think you should consider a filter. Get water from the stream or the pond.

I remember the path from the Parking Lot to Chimney Pond being an endless slog. But it was always the end of the hike for us.

desainme

by desainme » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:56 am

Bugs (black flies and mosquitoes) should be minimal I think you just get water out of Chimney Pond or better at Basin Ponds and toward the beginning Roaring Brook. Just filter it and/or treat it.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)