Newbs in Cascades

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
atomiccows1

Newbs in Cascades

by atomiccows1 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:40 am

Hey all,

My friends and I are novice winter mountaineers. We're looking at planning a trip that involves some backcountry skiing, camping, and some non-technical climbing. We are going early to mid January, and have about 8 days to fool around.

Right now what we're thinking:

Starting things off with some front country skiing.

doing the southeast ridge of Mount Bailey in a day

and topping things off with a 4-5 day circumnavigation of Crater Lake with a day spent skiing some lines down Mount Scott.

I was wondering what ya'll think of Ive's peak on Goat Rocks, or if you have any other suggestions for a good non-technical winter day climb.

Thanks a bunch!

Ben Beckerich

Re: Newbs in Cascades

by Ben Beckerich » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:18 am

Hood?

I've never done Ives or Bailey. I had to look up Bailey- aside from being in the middle of fucking no where, that looks like a rad intro to winter ski mountaineering mountain. Looks like avi-safer routes are available all the way to the top, and it looks nearly impossible to get lost. Skin up, shred down, back to the car in time for bloody marys.
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)