It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:58 am

News News of Africa

Site map of Africa » Forum : Africa

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Africa. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Africa Climbing Partners section.

Best Kilimanjaro route?

I have been doing some research and haven't uncovered much other than cutting it down to one of Lemosho, Machame and Rongai. Can anyone give me some some personal insights into what they think is better?
Read more : Best Kilimanjaro route? | Views : 9599 | Replies : 3

Kilimanjaro Zara questions

Can someone tell me what website Zara uses? I see there is a a zara.co.tz and also a zaratours.com are they the same company?

I am looking to add Mt Meru and a safari to my climb. What is the danger for Mt Meru as I see you need an armed Ranger :shock: I don't really feel like getting eaten.

Is there any difference between going with ...
Read more : Kilimanjaro Zara questions | Views : 9690 | Replies : 3

Team Kilimanjaro view on Diamox

I received this from TK in regards to Diamox:

"As regards Diamox, the obvious advantage is that when taking it the effect of the altered chemical composition of your blood on your chemo-receptors is to tell your hypothalamus to make you breathe faster, which of course compensates for the reduced volume of oxygen taken in with each breath when at altitude. The main problems are twofold, a) that this is achieved by acidifying your blood ...
Read more : Team Kilimanjaro view on Diamox | Views : 9588 | Replies : 2

Safety on Mt Kenya?

I´ve been warned about robberies on Mt Kenya by travelers who have"heard stories of it", but can´t find anything when I google, and when I asked the park service they said they had had no problems (not that I would trust their word for it, since it´s in their interest to keep people coming there). There are three of us, and we don´t plan on using a guide or porters, and we are taking the ...
Read more : Safety on Mt Kenya? | Views : 8723 | Replies : 1

Mt. Meru only

Hi all,

I'm leaving for Tanzania in a few weeks, and I think I'll try and get a climb of Mt. Meru in. I'm not interested in a guide service, and I have plenty of backpacking experience in the US, elevation up to 14.5k'. We're a group of 3 fit 30-somethings. Some questions:
1. Can we rent sleeping bags and a tent, or would we be better off bringing our own (which would be a ...
Read more : Mt. Meru only | Views : 13267 | Replies : 8

How would you choose a Kilimanjaro climb operator

Hi All
I would really appreciate your feedback on a few questions relating to how you would choose a Mt Kilimanjaro operator. I will keep it brief.
1. How would you find and choose a Kilimanjaro operator?
2. What are the key factors that would influence your choice of a Kilimanjaro operator?
3. What key information do you want to know about the operator and see on their website?
4. Does a companies position on ...
Read more : How would you choose a Kilimanjaro climb operator | Views : 27815 | Replies : 17

Possible getting permission to climb Kilimanjaro in 2 days?

Me and a friend happen to be in Tanzania in July, and would love to get up on Kilimanjaro, via the Marangu route (don´t have time for any of the more scenic ones). However, reading up on it, there seems to be 3 major problems:

1. It seems like it´s ridiculously expensive (best quote I got was $50 for transport , 120 for guiding, 520 for park fees, and 125 for additional expenses= $815 per ...
Read more : Possible getting permission to climb Kilimanjaro in 2 days? | Views : 30648 | Replies : 17

Kili Tips, Tricks and Random Information Needed Thread

Yep, I know this has been hashed a lot. But searching through the random comments of folks on Kilimanjaro is wearing on me a bit, so I hope you will allow me the liberty of posting my own thread for our upcoming trip. This thread is open to any comments, tips, photos, etc. regarding Kili for anyone - feel free to fire away!

Basically, we are looking to make an attempt via the Rongai Route ...
Read more : Kili Tips, Tricks and Random Information Needed Thread | Views : 12651 | Replies : 7

Africa's highest peaks

I have created a list of the 4000 meter peaks in Africa, but may need some help with verification since I don't have maps of all these places and used other sources (which I'm also working on correcting and verifying):

http://www.summitpost.org/africa-s-4000 ... aks/828720

For example, certainly someone has a map of the Atlas that can verify the prominence of Akioud? The Atlas is one area of Africa that has ...
Read more : Africa's highest peaks | Views : 11734 | Replies : 5

Peak bagging EC Africa (Feb 2013) Peak bagging EC Africa (Feb 2013)

Considering a multi week trip to east central Africa in mid January or February 2013. Kilimanjaro, Mt Kenya, Stanley in Uganda, Karisimbi in Rwanda... I could stretch for 6-8 peaks including up to 5 national high points. Trolling for partners and/or Internet flames.

Pat
Read more : Peak bagging EC Africa (Feb 2013) | Views : 12554 | Replies : 7

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557858 • Total topics 55828 • Total members 136251