It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Scree slope suggestions?

I'm looking for some scree slopes for some research and was hoping for some recommendations.
Not inside a National Park or designated wilderness (not allowed to collect rocks from those locations).
Preferred locations: Bay area or Sierras from Sierra National Forest (North of Kings Canyon) to Tahoe Nat. Forest.
Within a few of miles of the road would be ideal, so it doesn't require an overnight trip to get to.
Read more : Scree slope suggestions? | Views : 237 | Replies : 0

Gould to Dragon or reverse

Was planning on doing Gould with a friend and showed Dragon as the extension I’ll do next time and she was all for it. Apparently she has done some exposed easy climbs. I rock climb so I lose perspective on what people find scary sometimes but I showed her pictures. Anyhow a lot of the trip reports show people going up Dragon first but that looks like the better summit but going up Mt Gould ...
Read more : Gould to Dragon or reverse | Views : 2512 | Replies : 1

November possibilities

Hoping to get another long day trip in the weekend of November 11. I was thinking Mount Gould or Dragon Peak if conditions stay good but after noticing camping isn’t open to book I’m wondering if the road will be open. What roads usually stay open a little later? I know the eastside pretty well and I’m flexible on trips just want to get out there hopefully somewhere south of bishop. Death Valley could be ...
Read more : November possibilities | Views : 1213 | Replies : 7

Shepherd Pass Access/Conditions?

Does anybody have any information regarding the current access to and status of the Shepherd Pass trail post-Tropical Storm Hillary? I was planning on heading up there next week but from Inyo County Roads Department information it looks like the roads to the trailhead are closed. I haven't been able to get through to the Whitney Ranger Station/Eastern Sierra Visitor Center and at this point am assuming I will probably have to go to a ...
Read more : Shepherd Pass Access/Conditions? | Views : 1920 | Replies : 4

Middle Palisade

Hello - Does anyone have beta on Middle Palisade, particularly whether any snow persists on the mountain given this year's high snowfall? I am planning on climbing Middle Pal via NE face in the next few weeks. Thanks!
Read more : Middle Palisade | Views : 986 | Replies : 0

Climber.org -- zombie site or still maintained? Climber.org -- zombie site or still maintained?

Is anyone actually maintaining climber.org? In particular, checking the messages that come in via the contact form?

I don't know who owns the domain and/or website nowadays. The domain registrant is redacted, and in recent years it seems no one checks the inbox.

Over the years I've sent many updates and additions for the "Sierra Nevada showers" list. They used to be promptly acknowledged and added to the page, but my more recent updates have ...
Read more : Climber.org -- zombie site or still maintained? | Views : 2822 | Replies : 2

Permits, Permits & more Permits

This just in from Yosemite NP. Permits now required for multi-day rock climbs. What's next, permit for photography (wait - there already is a permit for photography - commercial anyway). When I was in grad school the saying was "Publish or Perish", ie publish or you are irrelevant. In the federal bureaucracy the saying is "Regulate or Perish".
Read more : Permits, Permits & more Permits | Views : 2177 | Replies : 2

Hwy 108 open (finally)

CA Highway 108 is finally open over the Sonora Pass. :!:

https://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/3122534/hwy-108-sonora-pass-reopened.html
Read more : Hwy 108 open (finally) | Views : 1402 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557889 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136293