It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:53 pm

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Yosemite Mist Trail

Yosemite’s Mist Trail is getting a $5M improvement. Construction work is scheduled for 2025-2026.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-05-22/yosemite-national-park-mist-trail-upgrade-donation
Read more : Yosemite Mist Trail | Views : 1324 | Replies : 3

JMT Bridge Destroyed

It has been reported that the bridge carrying the JMT over the South Fork of the San Joaquin River (below Evolution Valley) has been destroyed by either snow loading or avalanche. As the snow pack melts undoubtedly other bridges will be discovered to be either damaged or destroyed or swept away by flood waters. Fording of major streams will be perilous well into the summer. All in all it will be a challenging year for ...
Read more : JMT Bridge Destroyed | Views : 5092 | Replies : 11

Sierra Nevada after atmospheric rivers Sierra Nevada after atmospheric rivers

I was planning a trip in the eastern Sierra July 1-3. I am wondering what the snow conditions will be with the all time high snowpack this year. I am specifically worried about the trails to Thousand Island Lake, Minaret, Cecile& Iceberg, the lakes around Hungry Packer Lake and Brainad & Finger. I can deal with some snow patches here and there, but my two concerns are that the scenery is diminished if the lakes ...
Read more : Sierra Nevada after atmospheric rivers | Views : 3357 | Replies : 4

Middle Pal Route

Secor left or Red Rocks to the right? If I'm reading everything right, both routes merge above the gendarme, so I guess I'm just looking for a starting point. But I've seen people swear both directions are better than the other --- also, people rate both sides as 3rd and 4th --- wonky. Can anyone clarify for me? I'll be up there this weekend. Thanks!
Read more : Middle Pal Route | Views : 3308 | Replies : 3

Glacier Notch Difficulty/Feasibility Glacier Notch Difficulty/Feasibility

Hello!

I am leaving to hike the southern half of the Sierra High Route this upcoming weekend and I have added a few summit attempt additions on the way. I'd like to get from the top of Mt. Sill to the Palisade Glacier over Glacier Notch (GN), but I'm not seeing much information about navigating through GN. I'm trying to limit my climbs to class 3 and lower, so if (as I might have read ...
Read more : Glacier Notch Difficulty/Feasibility | Views : 2407 | Replies : 1

Two days, one night peak bagging trip suggestion

Hello all I have permits for Taboose Pass and was intending on doing Mount Ruskin. I thought I would have three days and now I really only have 2 also I’m not sure my CRV will make it on that road.
I’m looking at alternatives but would love suggestions for something that’s a shorter/easier approach and a class 2/easy 3 Peak with epic views. Aggasiz would be perfect but I’ve already done that. Looked up ...
Read more : Two days, one night peak bagging trip suggestion | Views : 1634 | Replies : 0

The High Sierra - A Love Story

I have been reading a just published book by Kim Stanley Robinson, titled "The High Sierra - A Love Story" about his many years of climbing in the Sierra Nevada. Mr. Robinson is a prolific author best known for science fiction novels. While most sierra themed books describe the popular and accessible, Mr. Robinson writes about the obscure and inaccessible - locales that only people like us on SummitPost would recognize. Well written with quite ...
Read more : The High Sierra - A Love Story | Views : 1642 | Replies : 0

Horton Lake

Does anyone know if the old miners cabin at Horton Lake is still standing?
Read more : Horton Lake | Views : 1662 | Replies : 3

Route opinions wanted: Palisade Basin and Chimney Pass

I'm curious on the feasibility of combining the 'Palisade Traverse' (Thunderbolt -> Sill) and Middle Palisade in a multi-night trip from South Lake. I was originally planning on doing M. Palisade and the Palisade Traverse in two separate expeditions from Glacier Lodge, but it looks like this might not be the best option. Hiking up both the south and north forks of Big Pine Creek consecutively seems like a lot!

My idea instead is to ...
Read more : Route opinions wanted: Palisade Basin and Chimney Pass | Views : 2252 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557944 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136387