It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:39 pm

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

California, A History

I received a copy of 'California, A History' for Christmas. This book is authored by Dr. Kevin Starr, a former Harvard professor and California State Librarian. Pretty good credentials, however I didn't get very far into it (page 9 to be exact) before I ran into the following statement: "Forty-One California mountains rise to more than ten thousand feet". I think someone needs to do a re-count.
Read more : California, A History | Views : 3504 | Replies : 7

Satellite Communication

In 2020 I came within a few days of being trapped in the backcountry by the Creek Fire. To avoid a repetition of that peril, this year we decided to rent a satellite phone. The phone was expensive, heavy and something you don't want to lose or get wet. However, it was comforting to get messages from home that everything was Ok and to know you could summon help if needed. I recently became aware ...
Read more : Satellite Communication | Views : 5111 | Replies : 10

Thru Hikers

I spent 3 days at the Vermillion Valley Resort in early August, coincidentally right after it had been taken over by new Owners. I enjoyed being around the thru hikers stopping there for re-supply. It reminded me of when I hiked the JMT years ago. Now, after one month of operation, the Resort apparently has to close. That's tough for the new Owners, but what about the thru hikers counting on picking up supplies? And ...
Read more : Thru Hikers | Views : 3499 | Replies : 5

The Sierra Nevada in CA closed

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/31/1032822337/every-national-forest-in-california-is-closing-because-of-wildfire-risk

For two weeks ...... my bet it ends for the season. We have a month or more before any kind of rains hit.
Read more : The Sierra Nevada in CA closed | Views : 4214 | Replies : 8

Caldor Fire ~ Desolation Wilderness, Calif

An FYI, The Caldor Fire is raging in The Sierra. Started in the foothills south of Placerville and moved quickly north. My wife and I had to evacuate from our home in Pollock but our home will be OK. The fire has moved up the highway 50/S Fork American River corridor and is encroaching on Desolation Wilderness. The fire is also too close to South Lake Tahoe. Luck and prayers are needed.
Read more : Caldor Fire ~ Desolation Wilderness, Calif | Views : 2016 | Replies : 2

Tarn east of Humphreys?

Has anyone seen the tarn east of Humphreys in the last couple of weeks? Any water?
Read more : Tarn east of Humphreys? | Views : 1549 | Replies : 2

Mt. Sill via North Couloir

Hello - I am new to the Forum and was hoping any recent hikers/climbers to the Palisade Glacier and Mt. Sill North Couloir route could provide information regarding the condition of the glacier and whether or not ice axe/crampons are needed to get to Glacier Notch and up the North Couloir. I am hoping to climb Mt. Sill with my son in two weeks and want to make sure I am taking all of the ...
Read more : Mt. Sill via North Couloir | Views : 4923 | Replies : 10

Muriel Peak from Piute Pass? Muriel Peak from Piute Pass?

I was looking into hiking Muriel Peak but the info on the page is very limited. What's the easiest way to get up the peak from Piute Pass? Alpine Col seems way out of the way, so the Keyhole maybe? Anyone have a Topo map with the route or a good description?
Read more : Muriel Peak from Piute Pass? | Views : 3641 | Replies : 10

Artistic license

What's wrong with the picture, and how does it get by the Dept of the Interior approval process?
Read more : Artistic license | Views : 2234 | Replies : 4

High Sierra Drought

Just returned from 8 days at 10,000 ft in the Margaret Lakes area. The scarcity of running water, this early in the season, was shocking. I spoke with the operators of the High Sierra Pack Station on my way out. According to them, water availability (or lack thereof) this year is unprecedented. From the summit of Silver Peak not a single remaining snow field was visible. Anyone planning a back country trip this summer should ...
Read more : High Sierra Drought | Views : 11811 | Replies : 26

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557933 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136365