It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Bishop, CA area shuttle/SPer shuttle?

I know there are the 2 business shuttles but looking to cut costs. Will need a shuttle from South Lake to Rock Creek/Mosquito Hiker's Camp on Saturday Sept. 4th. Any SPer's around Bishop want to make $120 for 2+ hours?
Read more : Bishop, CA area shuttle/SPer shuttle? | Views : 1849 | Replies : 2

ISO Palisades Backpack Loop: Is this insane?

I'm looking for a backpacking loop in the Palisades. I came across this old article in Backpacker magazine: https://www.backpacker.com/trips/kings- ... palisades/

The route given goes over 5 passes, and includes quite specific waypoints:

WPT001
WPT002
Knapsack Pass
WPT003
Thunderbolt Pass
WPT004
Scimitar Pass
WPT005
Jigsaw ...
Read more : ISO Palisades Backpack Loop: Is this insane? | Views : 3855 | Replies : 6

Sierra permits

I'm pretty confused with the online permitting system at recreation.gov.

In one place I read that all permits must be requested online or on the phone and that there are no walk-ins.

When I go to the trailhead listings, under availability it says walk-ins. Tried the ranger station (closed today) and called the number for the permit office provided on the ranger station's recorded message, and that rang for 15 minutes before I gave up. ...
Read more : Sierra permits | Views : 2558 | Replies : 5

Greenough Ridge

Anyone been to Greenough Ridge north of Montgomery Woods State Reserve?
Read more : Greenough Ridge | Views : 1487 | Replies : 2

Bloody Couloir Photo?

Can someone send a photo of Bloody Couloir on the N side of Bloody Mt?
Thanks,
Donno
Read more : Bloody Couloir Photo? | Views : 2142 | Replies : 2

Mount Dana Couloir conditions

Hello everyone
Does anyone have any recent photos or beta on the current conditions of the Dana Couloir? Much appreciated. Also, do any of you want to climb it? Thanks, David
Read more : Mount Dana Couloir conditions | Views : 1542 | Replies : 0

Treasure trove of fossils found in the Sierra foothills

A park ranger stumbled across a major fossil find in an undisclosed location somewhere in the Mokelumne River Watershed in the Sierra foothills, including what looks to be a petrified forest and a 400lb salmon. :o

In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California, paleontologists have uncovered a collection of fossils, including an eight-million-year-old mastodon skull with both tusks intact, a rhino skeleton, a giant ...
Read more : Treasure trove of fossils found in the Sierra foothills | Views : 1957 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557888 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136291