It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:11 pm

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

2021 Mystery Photo #1

Who, where, why, and by whom? The fellow on the left, that is. Photo acquired at auction from estate of notable Bay Area gentleman. As usual, no prizes but for recognition and fame. The subject and the circumstances were a puzzle that took a few days to solve. The "Indian" will probably remain a puzzle. Relevance to climbing a stretch but what the hell? Don't wanna give away too much.

Read more : 2021 Mystery Photo #1 | Views : 3996 | Replies : 5

Apologies for Forgetting Postage, 1922

Francis sends regrets for late Christmas greetings.

Read more : Apologies for Forgetting Postage, 1922 | Views : 3152 | Replies : 5

Basic questions on getting into backcountry skiing

Hi everyone,

Very new to summitpost, so please be forgiving if I posted this at the wrong place. I'm trying to get more into backcountry skiing and will be getting my AVIARE1 soon. I wanted to see if people know of any good organizations and what not that would be planning backcountry ski trips as I would love to take part in group trips to further develop my skills. I tried looking into the sierra ...
Read more : Basic questions on getting into backcountry skiing | Views : 2613 | Replies : 2

Best peak near Lompoc/Vandenberg to view rocket launch?

I don't know the Lompoc/Vandenberg area. I would love to go up and hike a nearby peak to view a rocket launch. Which peak is best?

If it's high, but far away, that might not be good. Are there any decent peaks near Vandenberg to view rocket launches?

TIA.
Read more : Best peak near Lompoc/Vandenberg to view rocket launch? | Views : 7203 | Replies : 5

Humphreys Basin in winter?

Doe anybody know if on an average snow year in mid-late november you can drive to the paiute pass trailhead and hike to humphreys basin? What about an above average snow year? Thanks!
Read more : Humphreys Basin in winter? | Views : 4343 | Replies : 3

Sierra Mountain Peaks

Help. I wonder if someone could please help me identify and name the peaks in my panorama of the Eastern Sierra?
I would be very grateful, since I've searched and searched and I am not certain I have found the correct names for the peaks.
I have attached 2 panoramas

Thanks
Read more : Sierra Mountain Peaks | Views : 3118 | Replies : 1

Lost Phone

Hi all,

I had a friend who was injured on Sept 5 while coming down from a ridge between Mount Price and Smith Lake up in Desolation Wilderness and had to get medivac'ed.

In the process he lost his phone... reasonably close to here on Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mt+Pr ... 20.1743549

If anyone happens to find it, he'd love to get it back.
Thanks!
Read more : Lost Phone | Views : 1564 | Replies : 0

Creek Fire

Pulled into Ottoway Lake Sunday afternoon Aug 23 under relatively clear skies. Set up camp with a planned hike to the summit of Red Peak the next morning. Around midnight I noticed lightning flashes on the horizon. By 2 am we were in the middle of a serious lightning and rain storm. Arising the next morning visibility was poor and there was a strong smell of smoke in the air. Due to the unusually warm ...
Read more : Creek Fire | Views : 1496 | Replies : 0

Mountaineering Course

Hi everyone. I have hiked Mount Whitney and now I have made it a goal to hike all the California 14ers. I have never done mountaineering before and would really like to take a mountaineering course from a local group in the Sierra Nevadas.

I have researched a few groups that do courses but I wanted to hear who everyone would recommend. Who do you recommend and why? Thanks in advance.
Read more : Mountaineering Course | Views : 3713 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557933 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136365