It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:42 pm

News News of Canada and Alaska

Site map of Canada and Alaska » Forum : Canada and Alaska

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.

What is March like in the Canadian Rockies?

I'm trying to plan a mid-March trip somewhere in the Canadian Rockies. I'm fairly new to the PNW and have no experience in the Canadian Rockies. I say this because I am still trying to get a feel for the seasons up north. I was looking at some of the ice climbs that Dow Williams has created and they look pretty intense in the good way. My question is, are those routes still solid in ...
Read more : What is March like in the Canadian Rockies? | Views : 6457 | Replies : 8

Denali 2010

Ironing out the details for a trip to Denali this next May/June. IN the past I have seen various fund-raising trips to the mountain. Since I will be heading up there anyway, and I do like to help out charities does anyone know about any "Climb for...." trips this next season ? Thanks, Scott
Read more : Denali 2010 | Views : 8771 | Replies : 9

DNP job opening

Read more : DNP job opening | Views : 3854 | Replies : 14

Torngats in Winter

Any recorded forays into the range in Winter? Can't find much at all regarding this beautiful range in northern Quebec.

Planning on a lovely sufferfest in late February/early March for the adventure. Can't seem to find anything about people actually climbing around in the range during the winter months.
Read more : Torngats in Winter | Views : 1749 | Replies : 1

Banff 12/12/09 or so...

What's the news on conditions up there? Looks like LL opens this week - but how good is the snow, really. :wink: Ptarmigan? Larch?

Any ice formed yet?

And what's the cheapest way to shuttle from Calgary to Banff? I found a R/T shuttle for just over $100. Anyone heading to Banff late Saturday the 12th of December?

Just trying to decide if I can pull this ...
Read more : Banff 12/12/09 or so... | Views : 2283 | Replies : 5

Huntington

We're looking to plan a trip to Mt. Huntington (most likely) for this coming Spring. I'm done with work April 18-19. And may have to go back to work as soon as May 13, I'll know in March. Any thoughts? Anyone have any beta for the SE Spur? Any skiing beta for the area?
Read more : Huntington | Views : 1507 | Replies : 0

Need help finding airport near Athabasca

I'd like to fly out and climb Athabasca, and others, this spring. The closest airport is listed as Jasper-Hinton but that doesn't register on any US flight intineraries. What's the nearest major airport? Or can anyone recommend the best way to get there from the Eastern US? Thanks for your help.
Read more : Need help finding airport near Athabasca | Views : 2543 | Replies : 4

Climbing around Vancouver

Hi
I know the season is probably past and the weather most likely isn't great. However, I am going to be in Vancouver next week and wanted to know if there are any easy to reach climbing areas not too far from town (I do have a car).

Also I would be interested in recommendation for day hikes in the area (what can be reached by car in an hour or two).

Thx
Read more : Climbing around Vancouver | Views : 2145 | Replies : 2

President - Yoho Peaks

Looking for a little beta on the President and Vice President for my first Canadian climb.

1. What is the best time to catch the President glacier in good shape? Right now, I'm thinking mid July. I've read that the bergshrund can get impassable. Maybe there is a way around it?

2. In the pic below, anyone know anything about the couloirs to the east of the president glacier?

Thanks for any help!

Scott

Linked ...
Read more : President - Yoho Peaks | Views : 3639 | Replies : 3

Sultana Ridge

I have a question for those on this site who have attempted or summited Mt. Foraker.
In your opinion, how dicey was the navagation around the serac fall to attain the higher slope below Mt. Crosson?
Running belay through this section? How many pickets or screws were placed?
Thanks for any input! 8)
Read more : Sultana Ridge | Views : 5163 | Replies : 13

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557946 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136400