It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:53 pm

News News of Gear

Site map of Gear » Forum : Gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

Summer socks

REI seems to be pushing "Darn Tough" socks and Outdoor Gear Labs loves them. I was NOT impressed with their "Darn Tough Light Hiker Micro Crew" - the only one they rated highly for warm weather. I don't like it that the fabric is non-stretchy, and I don't find it cushion-ey. It just sort of sits there, dead, and not conforming to my foot.

Anyone else have a summer sock they like? Any recommendations would ...
Read more : Summer socks | Views : 2861 | Replies : 2

Jacket for a beginner

I wanna start mountaineering this winter, ive already done a lot of research and found almost all the gear needed except softshell pants - i think cirque 2 will be good but you could suggest something else and jackets. I have base layer and a fleece but i am not sure what jacket/jackets to buy. Im gonna be climbing from 2500-4500m if i go to the alps but for now only in my home country ...
Read more : Jacket for a beginner | Views : 2508 | Replies : 3

Why don't mountaineers wear knickers anymore?

Why don't mountaineers wear knickers anymore?

The advantage on knickers is obvious. Why did they fall out of use?
Read more : Why don't mountaineers wear knickers anymore? | Views : 1532 | Replies : 0

Soap.

I always used "biodegradable soap" as a Boy Scout growing up.
I live in Colorado and I now question the usage.

It'd be lovely to bathe in a river here when backpacking. What's yall's take on it?
If yay, what sort of soap are you using?
If nay, how are you bathing?
Read more : Soap. | Views : 3756 | Replies : 1

UL summit/day pack with hydration sleeve?

Hello All:

Looking for a UL day pack or summit pack that has a hydration sleeve < 100g . I can't find one with a hydration (bladder) sleeve.

I am fat and lazy and don't want to carry weight, so I'm a "gram weeny" and 100 g is *always* too much. I usually camp, then take out a UL daypack and go bag a peak. So that daypack sits in my pack and is dead ...
Read more : UL summit/day pack with hydration sleeve? | Views : 1730 | Replies : 1

LaSportiva Mountaineering Boots questions

Hi all!

I'm comparing mountaineering boots and I have a question regarding La Sportivas.

The Evo is 4.2oz heavier than the Cube.

Cube has
"air injected rubber rands"
"INSOLE: 3mm Carbon Tech honeycomb insulation / 4mm EVA"
"MIDSOLE: 3 mm Polyurethane graded for crampon attachment"

Evo has "Insulating Ibi-Thermo 9mm
MIDSOLE: 8-9mm TPU / PU inserts / SBR Aircushion"

I know what a rand is, but what's an air injected rand?
Would y'all please help ...
Read more : LaSportiva Mountaineering Boots questions | Views : 2011 | Replies : 0

MSR snow shoe straps

My 15 year old MSR Ascent snow shoes need new straps. The company is out of stock and has no idea when they might get some. No local dealers carry them. Any ideas besides me McGyvering some type of lace system?
Read more : MSR snow shoe straps | Views : 1075 | Replies : 0

REALLY what sleeping bag rating is required for Aconcagua?

I've seen so many gear lists for Aconcagua with wildly differing opinions on sleeping bags for Aconcagua and it's hard trying to decipher the real info from the 'overkill' recommendations.

Currently my warmest bag is a Sea To Summit Latitude 3 which has a comfort of -10 and a Limit of -17. Basically I'm trying to work out if I'm going to be able to take that and save buying something new (since there is ...
Read more : REALLY what sleeping bag rating is required for Aconcagua? | Views : 2739 | Replies : 0

La Sportiva G2 Evo vs. Scarpa Phantom 6000

I'm looking at a choice between these boots initially for Aconcagua.
If anyone has hands-on (feet-in) experience with both boots I'd love to hear your views on how they compare.

Also, can anyone comment on sizing: for a regular street shoe I wear a 43/UK9, what size should I be going for in each of these boots?
That might sound like a stupid question (I should just go and try them on) but I live ...
Read more : La Sportiva G2 Evo vs. Scarpa Phantom 6000 | Views : 13186 | Replies : 3

knot testing

Does anyone have a break test bed? I want to get some rappel knots tested in 9mm rope.
Read more : knot testing | Views : 1646 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557933 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136365