It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:22 pm

News News of Gear

Site map of Gear » Forum : Gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

Slab/Low Angle Multipitch Shoe Recommendation for Wide Feet?

Can anyone here with a wide asymmetric foot recommend a good shoe for lower angle climbs? (Being in Southern California, I mainly climb on granite with lots of little crystals and tiny edges, and a decent amount of friction smearing). I recently got Scarpa Instinct Laces for steeper stuff but am looking for a better shoe for lower angle stuff and longer climbs.

I recently tried Anasazi VCS and sadly the toe box is just ...
Read more : Slab/Low Angle Multipitch Shoe Recommendation for Wide Feet? | Views : 1506 | Replies : 0

Your Favorite Summer Hiking Socks 2021?

Hi there hikers:

Not only did outdoorgearlabs.com rate " Darn Tough Light Hiker Micro Crew Light Cushion" the "it" sock for the year; I've seen this parroted like everywhere. I found them to have kind of a "felt-like" feel to the fabric, they did not breathe well, and were without enough stretch to feel like they really fit.

---->What is your favorite currently available summer hiking sock, with good breathing? Why? What have your issues ...
Read more : Your Favorite Summer Hiking Socks 2021? | Views : 2005 | Replies : 1

Knickers

What the hell ever happened to knickers? They were ideal for mountaineering. Pants are way too binding in the knees.
Read more : Knickers | Views : 4211 | Replies : 4

TNF January Sales?

Hi guys, does "The North face" have January sales? Just I'm purchasing £600 of gear of them and might just wait until January to partake in the sales if indeed they do have a sale.

Wm.
Read more : TNF January Sales? | Views : 1490 | Replies : 0

One Man Tent

Hi guys,

I'm having a rest from electronics and computer programming and want to start mountaineering again. Could someone recommend a one man tent. I had a TNF mountain marathon but the elastics in the poles no longer work.

Thanks guys!
Read more : One Man Tent | Views : 4256 | Replies : 4

Steripen - Limited light bottle options (users read this!)

UL and Steri-Pen - Nalgene flexible bottle is very light, but the only option (apparently).

Summary: You can go light with a steri-pen using a Nalgene "wide-mouth Canteen" flexible bottle, very light, but you CANNOT use any other flexible bottle, their mouhts are not wide enough. You have to replace this flex-bottle every 2-5+ years though; just do it, it's worth the weight savings. I know of no other compatible light bottle (Please do let ...
Read more : Steripen - Limited light bottle options (users read this!) | Views : 2442 | Replies : 0

Hanwag Omega GTX are not durable - repair attempt

I loved my Alaska GTX boots and hit many summits with them. The scree finally started tearing them apart so I decided to splurge on the Omega GTX boots. They looked like a great upgrade and I wanted crampon mounts. Well after only a few summits the rubber brim on these boots completely wore off, exposing the stitching below. Maybe these boots are only meant for snow but that doesn't make sense because rock is ...
Read more : Hanwag Omega GTX are not durable - repair attempt | Views : 2069 | Replies : 0

ice axes/crampons needed for mount Sill?

I'm going on a trip in the next week to climb mount Sill, (one of the 14ers in the palisade crest) and i'm not sure what kind of gear i need for it. I've heard that you need ice axes and crampons to climb the mountain, but from the pictures from this time of year it looked like there was a way to avoid the glacier and any other ice/snow on the climb. Has anyone ...
Read more : ice axes/crampons needed for mount Sill? | Views : 2969 | Replies : 1

Gear For Sale

IMG_0587.jpg
Ice Axes and Crampons For Sale
Metolius Excaliber and F us-007
Grivel Rambo Crampons

Used about five times- great condition

$175 for the lot

Contact me via this forum or message me at texasboggios@gmail.com. Email preferred

Will ship
Read more : Gear For Sale | Views : 3324 | Replies : 1

-40 TNF Summit Series investment, bad idea?

I found in a local store a used -but in excellent conditions- TNF Summit Series Inferno sleeping bag. The size is Large and the price 99€. That's the exact same model that you can find on the TNF website for 900€, only it's a bit older (you can notice from zips, logo etc. but on a technical level is exactly the same). My question is, should I buy it as an investment and then try ...
Read more : -40 TNF Summit Series investment, bad idea? | Views : 2450 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557934 • Total topics 55835 • Total members 136369