It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:47 am

News News of Gear

Site map of Gear » Forum : Gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

Advice: Boots colder than Baruntse for alps/scottish winter Advice: Boots colder than Baruntse for alps/scottish winter

Hi everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a pair of La Sportiva Baruntse boots, which I've used to climb Island Peak (6.200m) in Nepal (fall season). They kept my feet toasty warm and I don't doubt that they will work up to 7.000m as advertised. Apart from the weight their fantastic!

This summer I'm going to Chamonix, France, to do an alpine summer course (so far I've only done two 'trekking peaks' around 6.200m in ...
Read more : Advice: Boots colder than Baruntse for alps/scottish winter | Views : 3289 | Replies : 1

Denali - Ski Boot Help

Hello,
I plan to climb Denali this June, we are bringing skis to 14camp, still undecided if we'll bring them higer and ski the Orient.

I've been seeing recommendations of buying a full shell size larger in the ski boots to allow for feet to swell at altitude. Would anyone recommend this? Seems like a waste as they won't fit here in Colorado and I will not be able to use them after this trip. ...
Read more : Denali - Ski Boot Help | Views : 3390 | Replies : 1

Charging electronic devices when out climbing

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could answer or share there opinions

What are the most common electronic devices you take with you climbing?
How do charge your electronic devices when out climbing and how do you prevent the battery from dying?

I'm a university final year Product Design student currently looking at the growing challenges mountaineers face with a lack of power to charge electronic devices when outdoors at various altitudes & temperatures and ...
Read more : Charging electronic devices when out climbing | Views : 5226 | Replies : 5

How do you prevent your drinking water from freezing?

I was wondering how everyone prevents their drinking water from freezing while out in extremely cold conditions. I've read some methods online but wanted to know what peoples real experiences are with keeping their water warm.

For full disclosure I'm a design student with 4 years experience looking at creating a hydration product to be used specifically in below freezing conditions and would love to hear your thoughts!
Read more : How do you prevent your drinking water from freezing? | Views : 7379 | Replies : 8

Best Solar panel - Goal Zero 30 kit or Anker 21W?

Hi everyone,

I'm off on a 5 week climb of Ama Dablum this month and looking for some advice on solar panels. I've not had much experience with solar panels, so I'd like to ask for some advice.

The Goal Zero Venture 30 Solar Kit seems equally loved and hated. It holds up well in extreme conditions. However, there seems to be an issue with the micro-USB connector head coming apart from its cable for ...
Read more : Best Solar panel - Goal Zero 30 kit or Anker 21W? | Views : 2766 | Replies : 0

7000m Down Jacket

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at a down jacket for Lenin Peak and wondering what people on this forum wear or recommend 7000m peaks.

Thanks in advance
Read more : 7000m Down Jacket | Views : 5493 | Replies : 2

Packing list for Expedition/hiking in the highlands

Due to the high altitude, the average temperature is low, tough natural environment. The plateau region has always been one of the most difficult areas for human survival.
It’s best to be fully prepared before you go hiking in the highlands. Taking Tibet as an example,
1.The passport with all necessary visas and Tibet travel permits.
2.Clothes
Tibet is very high, even in the summer, there is quite cold weather. The night is much colder ...
Read more : Packing list for Expedition/hiking in the highlands | Views : 2761 | Replies : 0

GPS Phone Apps that can be downloaded to Google Earth

Hey folks, so my MapMyHike App has been failing miserably lately. Even after I uninstalled and reinstalled it. It creates zig-zags and straight lines. I turned on my All Trails App last weekend in Prescott and within 15 minutes it showed I had gone 94 miles.

My Apps are just trash right now, and they used to work. I prefer an App that I can later convert to a KML or KMZ file.

Does anyone ...
Read more : GPS Phone Apps that can be downloaded to Google Earth | Views : 3613 | Replies : 2

Radios

I want to have a pair of 2 way radios. I purchased the yellow Motorola radios from REI and they are totally unreliable. One transmits and the other doesn't. The on/ of button is unreliable, it seems to switch on while being carried around in the pack, then on summit day it is dead. What is a serious radio that I can buy?
Read more : Radios | Views : 5598 | Replies : 3

Best jacket for high summit

Hi, I'm new in the world of mountaineering and after some friendly summits :) I'm ready to go to higher heights :)

I'm talking about Aconcagua and Denali for example. I've a good stuff for the moment, but I need a very good jacket for this kind of mountains.
Can you give me some advice about the good one ...
Read more : Best jacket for high summit | Views : 5223 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557933 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136367