It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:47 am

News News of Gear

Site map of Gear » Forum : Gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

Book recommendations wanted Book recommendations wanted

I am working on a novel, and it turns out that mountaineering is a more important piece of the work than I had planned. So I need to learn a fair bit about the how-to. I am not myself a climber; this is information for research purposes only.

In the novel, the characters will be climbing a face somewhat similar to the north face of the Eiger.

I am hoping that you can suggest some ...
Read more : Book recommendations wanted | Views : 4886 | Replies : 5

safety gear suggestion needed please

Hey everybody. I'm not exactly a climber but I figured here was the best place to consult for advice. I'm about to do some work on a somewhat inclined roof on a 1 story structure and I'm designing the gear to keep me safe. This setup is only designed to keep the rope attached to me in case I start to slide and need to get stopped. There's really no possibility of getting into a ...
Read more : safety gear suggestion needed please | Views : 5125 | Replies : 5

mini inreach

any opinions about this little device or experience?
https://sectionhiker.com/garmin-inreach ... or-review/
Read more : mini inreach | Views : 3177 | Replies : 1

altitude sleep mask

Has anyone tried this garbage?

https://www.altimatemask.com/us/
Read more : altitude sleep mask | Views : 12372 | Replies : 9

Sizing for high altitude boots

Hi
I am looking to buy a pair of La Sportiva Olympus mons. However I am still unsure what size to get even after trying on several different sizes. My usual size for mountaineering boots is 44.5. For the Olympus mons I was thinking about either 46.5 or 47. The 46.5 fits quite well and my heel does not move much, however I am not sure how much feet swell at altitude and how this ...
Read more : Sizing for high altitude boots | Views : 10396 | Replies : 4

Expedition/Hiking backpack

I'm looking for a good 75 liter backpack that well work well for most of the north cascade peaks and something that would work well as an expedition pack. I have it narrowed down to 3 packs. The Gregory Baltoro 75, the Gregory Denali 75 and the Mountain Hardwear south col 70. Any info and advise from anyone that has used any of these packs with pros and cons would be very helpful.
Read more : Expedition/Hiking backpack | Views : 6841 | Replies : 4

4 Season Tent: MSR Remote 2 or Rab Latok Mountain 2

Anyone have any experience with either of these tents? Mainly looking for a 4 season for PNW and Colorado climbs. The remote looks super livable but just wondering if it will be overkill (and too heavy) for 2-5 day objectives. The Rab Mountain looks great on paper but haven't heard any first hand experiences with it.

I know they are pretty different type of tents, but just curios as to which you all would prefer ...
Read more : 4 Season Tent: MSR Remote 2 or Rab Latok Mountain 2 | Views : 5408 | Replies : 2

Essential Hiking Gear List For Amateur Hikers - Article

Going on a hike for the first time is not something you do out of whim. It takes careful planning and preparation to ensure that you will have the best experience, and stay safe during your adventure at the same time.

If you are a novice in the world of hiking, this short guide on hiking gear will make it possible for you to have the most memorable time of yourself in the great outdoors. ...
Read more : Essential Hiking Gear List For Amateur Hikers - Article | Views : 5755 | Replies : 4

why would tent seams start leaking and peeling

On yesterdays trip during the rain, my REI Quarter Dome T2 fly suddenly started leaking a bit, from many separate places along the seams. I can also see some white material (sealant?) peeling everywhere along the seams of the fly and tent bottom.

Never had this problem before and I wonder what could have caused it?.. so I could avoid this in the future.

1) Improper storage after the last trip? IIRC I dried it ...
Read more : why would tent seams start leaking and peeling | Views : 5556 | Replies : 2

Odlo Evolution Baselayer Shirt/Pants

Odlo Evolution Light Baselayer Shirt (Mens Large)
Odlo Evolution Light Baselayer Pants (Mens Large)
Odlo Evolution Warm Blackcomb Pants (Mens Large)

Never Worn
New With Tags
$220 OBO
Read more : Odlo Evolution Baselayer Shirt/Pants | Views : 2801 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557944 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136387