It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 pm

News News of News

Site map of News » Forum : News

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.

Denali in Spring 2020? I would like to join.

I'm contemplating a Denali attempt this spring, currently don't have any climbing partners, and am reluctant to sign up with a guide service, mostly because of cost. If you need a replacement on a team (I can mobilize quickly), or are in the same circumstance as me, please drop a note. I am mostly geared up, would need to buy some more equipment beforehand. Have some, but not a great amount, of mountaineering experience.
Pete
Read more : Denali in Spring 2020? I would like to join. | Views : 2123 | Replies : 0

Mt Sidley (Antarctica) Summited & 7 Volcanic Summits

David (Roscoe) Roskelley summits Mt Sidley and completes the Volcanic Seven Summits

http://roskelleyeverest2013.blogspot.com/ -- David (Roscoe) Roskelley summits Mt Sidley (Antarctica) and conquers the Volcanic Summits -
JAN
18 - 2020
Volcanic Seven Summits Conquered!
As of approximately 3:22pm MDT, (from what I can tell on the tracker) Team Sidley reached the SUMMIT - HOORAY!! CONGRATULATIONS to the entire Mt. Sidley team!! They had perfect, sunny conditions today with no ...
Read more : Mt Sidley (Antarctica) Summited & 7 Volcanic Summits | Views : 2434 | Replies : 1

Max Bonniot & Pierre Labbre suffer fatal fall in Chamonix

In a tragic accident on Wednesday experienced climbers & guides Max Bonniot and Pierre Labbre died after a significant fall on a difficult route on the Aiguille du Plan.

Max Bonniot (31) was a member of Groupe Militaire de Haute Montagne (GMHM) and on duty at the time of the accident and Pierre Labbre (38) was a mountain guide at the Compagnie de Chamonix-Mont-Blanc.
Read more : Max Bonniot & Pierre Labbre suffer fatal fall in Chamonix | Views : 2661 | Replies : 0

Trad Climbing - Pembroke, Wales UK

Maybe it isn't exactly a news but hopefully this is the best forum to post it on. If not please let me know.

A short video clip of the trad rock climbing done in July 2012 on the cliffs of Saddle Head in Pembroke, Wales (UK). I have used only GoPro HERO HD2 and my smartphone to capture it. The weather was great and we have had a plenty of fun during two days. Good ...
Read more : Trad Climbing - Pembroke, Wales UK | Views : 2229 | Replies : 0

RIP, Climber and SP Member

Garon Coriz died in a rappelling accident a few days ago. Early reports are that the rock the anchor was on failed or that rockfall killed him.

Garon contributed many pages here and had a clear passion for putting obscure places on the climbing map.

The thread I've linked to has links to articles detailing what an exceptional person Garon was.

I'm not a believer, Garon, but if there is something else out there, I ...
Read more : RIP, Climber and SP Member | Views : 5109 | Replies : 1

Missing Person White Mt.

I just saw a missing persons report from the White Mt. area see below :

UPDATE- July 14, day 3 of massive multiagency search for missing camper Sheryl Powell. Agencies participating include: Inyo SAR, Mono SAR, China Lake Mountain Rescue Group, Fresno SAR, Riverside SAR, Tulare SAR, El Dorado SAR, Mariposa SAR, CA Rescue Dog Association, CalOES, and aerial recon provided by CHP-Central Division Air Operations.
In addition to this being an active search and ...
Read more : Missing Person White Mt. | Views : 2360 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557889 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136293