It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 am

News News of Colorado

Site map of Colorado » Forum : Colorado

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.

Backpacking and Wildlife

Hello all, I’m new to the forum and fairly new to backpacking in general. I was told this was one of the better forums for backpacking insight. This will be my second year coming out to CO and I’ll be coming out in early fall. Last year, I primarily backpacked in the Crested Butte area. This year I’ll be primarily be in the area bounded pretty much between Glenwood Springs, Vail, Aspen and Breckenridge. Last ...
Read more : Backpacking and Wildlife | Views : 1206 | Replies : 0

Does CO have an equivalent to Green Trails maps?

Having Green Trails maps really spoiled me during the nearly twenty years I spent in the Seattle area. Moving to CO in the fall and I'm hoping there is an equivalent excellent brand of map. I like the NatGeo maps, but honestly there's something very comforting about paper (note: I am an old). Any suggestions? Thx.
Read more : Does CO have an equivalent to Green Trails maps? | Views : 2487 | Replies : 0

RIP ~ Mountain Jim

Long time SPer and prominent Colorado mountaineer Mountain Jim, aka James Disney, passed on recently at age 82 after a long battle with cancer. He was an amazing painter and a prolific climber (summited Longs Peak 93 times). His SP profile, https://www.summitpost.org/users/mountain%20jim/30137 reveals much about the man.
I didn't know him, but had a little interaction with him here on SP and heard of his exploits over the years. He ...
Read more : RIP ~ Mountain Jim | Views : 4721 | Replies : 2

Remains found thought to be German hiker missing since 1983

Skeletal remains found in Colorado's Rocky Mountain National Park are believed to be those of a 27-year-old man from West Germany who disappeared during a multi-day mountaineering trip nearly 40 years ago, park officials said Thursday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/remai ... d=msedgntp
Read more : Remains found thought to be German hiker missing since 1983 | Views : 1406 | Replies : 0

Looking for Flatirons Suggestions

I will be in Boulder for a few days. I've climbed/led steeper routes there before, but have always skipped the "easy" stuff on the Flatirons. I'm a 5.9 Gunks leader and will bring a very light rack, just a piece here and there for mental protection, BUT, I'm traveling with a climbing newbie who may not be able to belay a leader, is fairly scared, and is basically a "no" to rapeling from anything.
Soooo, ...
Read more : Looking for Flatirons Suggestions | Views : 1523 | Replies : 1

New Years Trip (Colorado)

If anyone is interested in joining us, Kessler and I are climbing Hoosier Ridge on January 1st. On January 2-3 we're climbing Bison Peak, Bison View, and McCurdy Mountain in the Lost Creek Wilderness (two day climb).

Those seemed like the most reasonable and safest choices given the current avalanche conditions.

If anyone is interested in joinging us for either the day trip or the overnighter (or both) let me know.
Read more : New Years Trip (Colorado) | Views : 1474 | Replies : 0

14ers with Dogs

Which 14ers are the best for dogs? I've taken mine on a few and he's loved them all.
Read more : 14ers with Dogs | Views : 2572 | Replies : 2

seeking public assistance in locating missing hiker

The Summit County Rescue Group seeks any information that may help us find missing hiker Ken May. Ken left the Willowbrook trailhead on the morning of October 7th with the intention of summiting Silverthorne Mountain. His last known point was on the ridge between Silverthorne Mountain and the Thorne, where he took a photo. His GPS tracking device then shows him descending the ridgeline toward Salmon and Willow Lakes. Mr. May is 5' 6", 130 ...
Read more : seeking public assistance in locating missing hiker | Views : 1951 | Replies : 0

Half a day in Denver, what should I hike or climb?

I'm spending a couple of days in Denver (DIA) and will have half or 3/4 of a day to get out for a bit. I'm in decent but not great shape, but coming from altitude, so no need to acclimate to the elevation. Basically anything that would take ~7 hours roundtrip from Denver.

I'm looking for something to climb/hike, ideally 3rd or 4th class or very, very easy 5th. My initial thought was one of ...
Read more : Half a day in Denver, what should I hike or climb? | Views : 2983 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557888 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136291