It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:54 am

News News of Colorado

Site map of Colorado » Forum : Colorado

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.

Favorite Fourteeners

What are people's favorite Colorado Fourteeners to climb? I am working on an art project involving them and would like to start with the most popular.
Read more : Favorite Fourteeners | Views : 3459 | Replies : 0

Fire Restrictions

Just a friendly reminder to everyone to check with the National Forest and County Sherriff's offices in any areas you are planning to hike and especially camp at in Colorado this summer. There are at least 5 active wildfires in Colorado as of this morning (June 11), the largest being the 416 Fire outside of Durango.

We were in the Sangre de Cristos this weekend and drove past signage in Chaffee and Fremont counties noting ...
Read more : Fire Restrictions | Views : 2657 | Replies : 0

Western Colorado Thunderstorm Prediction

I wrote this to help me decide whether to postpone or abort a hike due to lightning/heavy rain risk and it may be of interest to weather nuts. Following the detailed discussion is an abbreviated process one could carry in the field. Seasoned outdoors people may not find anything new here but I feel more confident in assessing risk after using this more methodical approach. Excuse the goofy formatting I used to translate from the ...
Read more : Western Colorado Thunderstorm Prediction | Views : 2679 | Replies : 0

Phantom Terrace

Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone knows the current conditions around the Venable Lakes area/phantom terrace loop hike. My plan is to head out there from Missouri in 2 weeks and hike Venable, Spring, and Comanche peaks. If anyone has any news about snow or advice I would love to hear about it! Thanks
Read more : Phantom Terrace | Views : 3853 | Replies : 1

Looking for a driving route to Mt. Rainier

Hello, First time poster. Thanks in advance. I have signed up to climb Rainier starting June 15th. I currently live in East Texas and am looking for a driving route to Mt. Rainier. I plan on leaving Texas around May 17. What I am specifically looking for are places I can stop to help prepare me for the altitude and hopefully bag a couple more summits on the way. If you have any recommendations of ...
Read more : Looking for a driving route to Mt. Rainier | Views : 4432 | Replies : 3

High density scramble zones/early June.

Hey there,

Looking for a spot to spend about a week in the CO mountains. Ideally:
-Easy TH to car camp at, or central location to hike in and set up a base camp
-Rugged peaks that are fun scrambles/easy solos/or have good snow climbs

Initially I was looking at Capitol, Maroon Bells, etc but I'd rather stay in one spot and not drive much. What about the Grenadiers, or the Indian Peaks? Any other ...
Read more : High density scramble zones/early June. | Views : 3624 | Replies : 1

Looking for a Grade II/<5.7 backcountry climb

My wife and I are going to be leaving our little one with the grandparents for 3-5 days this August in Colorado and we're looking to get out into the Colorado alpine for some backpacking and climbing combination.

My wife is more in it for the backpacking and scenery, and myself more in it for the Type 2 climbing fun.

While I am a confident 5.8 trad leader and have been backpacking for 15+ years ...
Read more : Looking for a Grade II/<5.7 backcountry climb | Views : 2715 | Replies : 0

RMNP alpine mixed/ice routes with low avy danger?

(or other Front Range locations cool, too) Any recommendations? Short approaches & straightforward descents a plus too! Up to WI3+ M4 mid 5th range would be great! Recommendations appreciated! Happy new year & safe climbing, all!
Read more : RMNP alpine mixed/ice routes with low avy danger? | Views : 3125 | Replies : 0

Estes area hike 11/12

Hello,

I am going to be in Estes Park area this weekend for the first time. Any recommendations for a "must see" hike in the 4-8 range? Are most areas snowed in yet? If so-any good areas to drive to for photos? Thanks for any suggestions.
Read more : Estes area hike 11/12 | Views : 4982 | Replies : 2

RNMP; Winter Gear rental?

Can anyone help me find a rental source for proper mountaineering tents near RMNP?
This is for the Boulderfield in late February, we've got half a dozen people and I'm the only one with a sufficient tent.

Thanks in advance
Eric
Read more : RNMP; Winter Gear rental? | Views : 3041 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557933 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136367