It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 pm

News News of Colorado

Site map of Colorado » Forum : Colorado

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.

RMNP - Glacier Gorge Trailhead. Peak Bagging.

Hi All,

Good day.
I would like to attempt a peak from Glacier Gorge Trailhead.
What I am hearing from the Park Service that, there are no trails going to any of the peak - it is all cross country.
My Question is - How difficult is the routes from Black Lake for the below peaks

Chiefs Head Peak 13579 ft / 4139 m II, Class 3
Pagoda Mountain 13497 ft / 4114 m II, ...
Read more : RMNP - Glacier Gorge Trailhead. Peak Bagging. | Views : 4290 | Replies : 1

Parking at Maroon Bells/hike from Aspen to Crested Butte

Here is a good resource for info on parking at Maroon Bells if you are accessing the backcountry/climbing areas. Also good info on the hike from Aspen to Crested Butte.
www.tmbtent.com/guide-hiking-aspen-crested-butte/
Read more : Parking at Maroon Bells/hike from Aspen to Crested Butte | Views : 4027 | Replies : 0

Question About the Flatirons

I'm traveling to CO this weekend and we're looking for a good scrambling hike. I have a few questions about the flatirons:

1. I see pics/videos of people climbing what looked like 5.x sections of Flatiron 2. That looks really fun going up, but I don't feel comfortable descending. Is there a way to descend on a less steep trail?
2. Follow up to the above question: if someone in our party freaks out in ...
Read more : Question About the Flatirons | Views : 4635 | Replies : 2

Conditions in the Collegiate Peaks

I hope to come in from out of state to go up some collegiate peaks (Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Oxford, Belford, Missouri). Is there snow on the trails and summits already? If so, how deep.

I've never hiked in Colorado late in September like this. Are afternoon thunderstorms as common as in July?

What is the phone number for the Ranger Station in that area? Is there one in Buena Vista? Or Leadville?

Thanks in advance.
Read more : Conditions in the Collegiate Peaks | Views : 4194 | Replies : 2

Colorado 14ers in late Sept or early October?

I've only hiked in Colorado mtns in July. I've been up several different 14ers. I was considering a 4- or 5-day trip to bag some 14ers in late Sept or early October... no later than October 8. Is the weather too snowy or too stormy that time of year? I know weather can't be accurately predicted. But what are the trends for that time of year? I was considering peaks in the Collegeate Peaks area... ...
Read more : Colorado 14ers in late Sept or early October? | Views : 10115 | Replies : 5

Guanella Pass, CO dispersed camping conditions?

I'm heading in the diretion of Guanella Pass this week. I was wondering if anyone knew the condition of the Natl Forest Service dispersed camping near the bottom of the climb to the summit. There have been a lot of flash flood warrnings throughout the rest of the state for the last month or so.

That spot is right beside a small creek.

Thought someone might know. I'll probably call the NFS office next.

Thanks ...
Read more : Guanella Pass, CO dispersed camping conditions? | Views : 4438 | Replies : 0

CULEBRA PEAK FOR SALE FOR $105M

Land that has been passed on intact through the past century is about to trade hands again. The Cielo Ranch is up for sale, which is a huge swath of land dating back to the Spanish grant days of Colorado's history. I'm guessing the ranch owners want to retire in style, and they probably deserve to. Ranch life is hard work. More than 83,000 acres encompass some of the best and last of the truly ...
Read more : CULEBRA PEAK FOR SALE FOR $105M | Views : 9222 | Replies : 9

FLREA FEE SYSTEM COMING TO MAROON BELLS-SNOWMASS WILDERNESS

Well, it was inevitable and now it's here. The infamous fee system that I have combated through recent years has come to one of Colorado's finest premiere wilderness areas. I suppose this is really the only option in protecting these heavily used areas, and going forward, climbers will be subjected to the same racket the BLM runs at The Wave in Arizona http://www.summitpost.org/the-best-things-in-life-are-free/707471. But unlike the Mount Evans fee debacle, which was a scam ...
Read more : FLREA FEE SYSTEM COMING TO MAROON BELLS-SNOWMASS WILDERNESS | Views : 3240 | Replies : 1

Maroon Bells/4 Passes current conditions

What are the current conditions for the area? Snow level/elevation/aspects, snow conditions (soft, ice), stream crossings for the 4passes loop? The ranger has information which is 10 days old (snow at 11000 ft, several feet, dangerous stream crossing). Having recent pictures from the area will nice.
Any advice on doing it clock-wise or counter-clock wise?
RS
Read more : Maroon Bells/4 Passes current conditions | Views : 3433 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557889 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136294