It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

Recreation.gov

There was an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal today (April 6) about Recreation.gov. If you ever wondered why Recreation.gov endlessly sends out emails encouraging you to reserve a permit, even permits that are unavailable, the WSJ article will provide the answer.
Read more : Recreation.gov | Views : 1889 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General

Why don't mountaineers wear knickers anymore?

Why don't mountaineers wear knickers anymore?

The advantage on knickers is obvious. Why did they fall out of use?
Read more : Why don't mountaineers wear knickers anymore? | Views : 1502 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Gear

El Capitan rockfall - Yosemite Natl Park

Pretty cool, generally speaking I think this is off the Salathe Wall (west side). I couldn't find a video that shows it from start to finish. Fortunately this is not the 'high' or 'busy' time of year for climbing in Yosemite Valley.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/4iZCDfHgqYk

EDIT Mistake on my part, its on the EAST side, east of the North American Wall and in the path of Horsestail Falls. Here's a YT video ...
Read more : El Capitan rockfall - Yosemite Natl Park | Views : 1401 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General

The WORST!

We all know class 5 rock climbing and alpine climbing are fun as hell, so tell us about the....

1. Worst anchor you ever set up to belay someone else

2. Worst anchor that someone set up to belay you

3. Most ridiculous way you "beefed up" an anchor

4. Worst pre-existing rappel anchor you've ever had to use

5. Worst rappel anchor you've every set up for yourself

6. Worst rappel you've ever had ...
Read more : The WORST! | Views : 1498 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General

What happened to the skiing?

It's been a couple years since I've been active on this site and I have a couple questions :?: :
-When did this come a climbing board?
-Where did the backcountry skiing forums go?
Read more : What happened to the skiing? | Views : 1444 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General

FS: Scarpa Gea 24.5 Like New

Rookie mistake. Bought Mrs Roxtar boots without doing a proper shell fit. Take advantage of my screwup.
Used for one short season. Intuition liners haven't even been cooked. Scarpa footbeds literally never walked on.
Even still have the orig box.
Just paid $750 to replace them with smaller size.

Yours for $350 + shipping.

$matches

$matches

$matches

$matches

Read more : FS: Scarpa Gea 24.5 Like New | Views : 744 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Classifieds

PM the Elves

a. Where do I find "PM The Elves"
b. Why does the system only allow 30 days in January for birthdates?
Read more : PM the Elves | Views : 1109 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General

Alternatives to Mont Blanc for a physical challenge?

Hi all,

Recently joined the site, apologies if the topic is covered elsewhere...

Question:
Do you know of some accessible mountains that offer a similar physical challenge to Mont Blanc, but require less technical expertise? I really want a physical challenge to train towards this year...

Context:
- 30yr old male, reasonably fit and athletic
- Not so much of a background in endurance, but I've always managed to get myself up a mountain
Read more : Alternatives to Mont Blanc for a physical challenge? | Views : 1700 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General

How much technical experience is needed for Mt Blanc? How much technical experience is needed for Mt Blanc?

Hi all,

New to the site, and first-time poster. Apologies if the topic is covered elsewhere...

Question:
(In case I can't convince my mountaineering buddy to come with) then will it be enough from a technical perspective if I attend a mountaineering course over the summer to be able to go up Mt Blanc alone?

Context:
- 30yr old male, reasonably fit and athletic
- Not much of a background in endurance, but I've always ...
Read more : How much technical experience is needed for Mt Blanc? | Views : 1196 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557889 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136293