It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Best Andean Peak for a Bridge Novice-Intermediate climber

Hi all - I have been wanting to climb in the Andes since I started my climbing journey about 5 years ago. The problem is I don't know the best challenge to take on. I've been told by a guide I can do Tocclarju, but would like to hear from others.

Current Experience:

Ice climbed a 4 x, can top rope a 3+ and compete on a W4.
Have 4 attempts on 2 of the ...
Read more : Best Andean Peak for a Bridge Novice-Intermediate climber | Views : 490 | Replies : 3

Old documentary/fantasy about a climb in Scotland

Hi, has anyone seen this film? 1970s vintage, probably under 30 minutes.
A guy rides a motorcycle to the mountain. He does solo rock climbing, then some brief aiding under a roof.
He has a frog in his pocket that he picked up on the hike in.

Later, it's snowy and he's climbing on something like Ben Nevis.
Hikes down, hopes on his motorbike and drives away.
It's a fantasy of an idea day, but ...
Read more : Old documentary/fantasy about a climb in Scotland | Views : 1134 | Replies : 2

New Year's Day winter climb of Gannett Peak in Wyoming 1981

This site is too complex for this old man. I've tried for 2 days to post a comment to a question asking about a winter ascent of Gannett Peak in Wyoming. YES we did it on 1-1-1981. 7 of us hiked and skied in to Base camp at Dinwoody Glacier from the east via the Wind River Indian Reservation. On January 1, 1981, 6 of us made a successful climb to the summit and back ...
Read more : New Year's Day winter climb of Gannett Peak in Wyoming 1981 | Views : 1151 | Replies : 2

Add some new flavour from a SA perspective

Good day fellow mountaineers.

I searched but seemed not to find a greetings/introductions page on this forum, so i am posting here, if i am wrong, please show me the error of my ways.

I see there does not seem to be much on this forum from Southern Africa. I hope I can start to add some new flavour from a SA perspective. Looking forward to getting to know this forum better.

Most of my ...
Read more : Add some new flavour from a SA perspective | Views : 1293 | Replies : 0

printable maps gone?

Hi, having been absent for a long time due to injuries, I am today returning to this page finding it new and different. I used to print maps of a specific trail, but can't find my way around. Where can I print a detailed pdf trail map of a specific trail off this webpage? Or have we removed this feature? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.
Read more : printable maps gone? | Views : 1370 | Replies : 2

The Other Two Wilmans Spires & Comet Mine Ledge

East Wilmans Spire has a lot of info on the Std. Route but can't find info on the other two Wilmans spires. There is one photo of Bill Rowe climbing gulley just below comet mine ledge. I have probably failed 5-7 times trying to stand on the "Prow of a Ship" ledge that the Comet Mine Bunker & Outhouse & some Mine Cart Rails used to be. I have looked at climbing left like the ...
Read more : The Other Two Wilmans Spires & Comet Mine Ledge | Views : 649 | Replies : 0

When is a Peak a Mountain

I had a look and couldn't find any discussion on this but I'm sure many have debated the various ideas.

But, when is a Peak a Mountain, and by this I mean when does a subordinate high point to a major mountain get recognition as its own standalone mountain.

There are a few aspects which need to be considered:
* Prominence
* Distance from Parent
* Separation by geographic feature, glacier, col etc

Good examples ...
Read more : When is a Peak a Mountain | Views : 1053 | Replies : 2

Picking my next Mountain Challenge

Hi I am looking to pick my next mountain and was wondering if anyone could give advice based on the parameters below.

I've summited Hood and Shasta and have done some ice climbing and anchors courses for rock. I've also done some short guided training to help understand snow and glacier conditions etc. I have went with more experienced people and guides in the past and now am looking to develop some more personal competence ...
Read more : Picking my next Mountain Challenge | Views : 2663 | Replies : 4

Recreation.gov

There was an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal today (April 6) about Recreation.gov. If you ever wondered why Recreation.gov endlessly sends out emails encouraging you to reserve a permit, even permits that are unavailable, the WSJ article will provide the answer.
Read more : Recreation.gov | Views : 1886 | Replies : 1

El Capitan rockfall - Yosemite Natl Park

Pretty cool, generally speaking I think this is off the Salathe Wall (west side). I couldn't find a video that shows it from start to finish. Fortunately this is not the 'high' or 'busy' time of year for climbing in Yosemite Valley.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/4iZCDfHgqYk

EDIT Mistake on my part, its on the EAST side, east of the North American Wall and in the path of Horsestail Falls. Here's a YT video ...
Read more : El Capitan rockfall - Yosemite Natl Park | Views : 1400 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557888 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136291