It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:46 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

what for you is mountaineering?

I was in the pub last night discussing climbing with some non climbers when I got asked 'when does hill and mountain walking become mountaineering?' Then I realised I really didn't know and the magazines and internet stuff I read defines mountaineering in all sorts of ways. So my dumb ass question is when for you does it become mountaineering? X x thank youuu
Read more : what for you is mountaineering? | Views : 17359 | Replies : 66

makes you want to slack

I know this should go on the personal websites thread but these vidz are so goood thay diserve thier own post.
all in and around chamonix climbing the dry tooling vidz are exceptional.
this link open with a great slack line video which is gonna end up a full feature
http://www.sebmontaz.com/
enjoy
Read more : makes you want to slack | Views : 1369 | Replies : 2

Winter Climbing Grades and Soloing

Hello,
This January, I'm planning a five day solo trip to Scotland and I'm having trouble deciding what climbs will be safe for me to do alone. I just start climbing at a gym (still doing V1s) and want to get out for some rock trips this fall, but am not sure that will happen. I'm climbing at the gym three to four days a week and before I leave for Scotland I'll take a ...
Read more : Winter Climbing Grades and Soloing | Views : 5506 | Replies : 11

How about this for a job...

http://video.yahoo.com/network/101149635?v=8244494&l=5144241

I was thinking how cool it would be to combine it with BASE jumping for a quick way down.
Read more : How about this for a job... | Views : 2458 | Replies : 13

Kiefer Thomas Photo

Kiefer got a photo published in the Mountain Gazette.. :-)
Read more : Kiefer Thomas Photo | Views : 2236 | Replies : 4

Carl Blaurock stories and information

I'm gathering information about Carl Blaurock, mountain climber, caver, photographer, yada yada yada. If anyone out there knew him, knew people who knew him, have stories about him or resources discussing his life, please contact me!

Martha Perantoni
martha@marthaperantoni.com
Read more : Carl Blaurock stories and information | Views : 1248 | Replies : 0

The "Do it All Pack"

Hey folks!

An exercise of thought!

Choosing the right tool for the right job is ideal in most situations, especially for those with multi-sport interests. Having a quiver of packs for the right job can make or break the experience (Highly subjective, but as long as one is having fun, that is most important).

However, lets say theoretically, if you had to choose one pack, and only one pack to do all the activities that ...
Read more : The "Do it All Pack" | Views : 4353 | Replies : 17

Partial ADK Great Range traverse - help with trails?

I'm going to hike most of the ADK Great Range (Roostercomb, Hedgehog, L. Wolfjaw, U. Wolfjaw, Armstrong, Gothics, Saddleback, and finally Basin) tomorrow with a friend. I'm 18, he's 17. We're not that experienced (my only real hike was Mt. Washington a few weeks ago) so we need some advice, especially on which trails to take.

The Roostercomb Trailhead seems to be the most popular start for this trip, but where do I go after ...
Read more : Partial ADK Great Range traverse - help with trails? | Views : 1430 | Replies : 1

Pneumatic Crampons?....Help An Ice N00b!!

So, my lovely wife sends me a text stating she is looking at new crampons (Petzl's to be exact) but wants "pneumatic heels" for stiff boots. Curious, I start looking for crampons that are pneumatic. (insert image of tortured soul in hell)

Ok, I'm done trying to research the topic through a host of manufactures (ie Petzl, Grivel etc) and I still can't find what makes a crampon or its components "pneumatic". Aren't the leverwire ...
Read more : Pneumatic Crampons?....Help An Ice N00b!! | Views : 8144 | Replies : 17

What is your favorite backpacking meal?

So if you wanted anything that could be cooked or heated up in the backcountry, what would it be?

Have you ever thought when you eat something at a resturant or someone's house (including your own)that you would like to eat like that at camp?
Read more : What is your favorite backpacking meal? | Views : 5067 | Replies : 7

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557934 • Total topics 55835 • Total members 136369