It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:28 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

The Citadel

Looking to Agassiz, Chocolate, Vagabond and Giraud.....Or I have another plan. I know, short notice....Sept 30 - Oct 6. ???? Let me know
Troy
Read more : The Citadel | Views : 272 | Replies : 0

Mountaineering Fee Increases: Denali/Rainier

Letter from the American Alpine Club, Access Fund,and American Mountain Guides Association:

September 7, 2010

Jon Jarvis
Director, National Park Service
U.S. Department of the Interior
1849 C Street NW
Washington, DC 20240

E-mail: Jon_Jarvis@nps.gov

RE: Mountaineering Fees: Denali National Park & Preserve/Mount Rainier National Park

Dear Director Jarvis:

The Access Fund, American Alpine Club, and American Mountain Guides Association recently became aware that Denali National Park & Preserve (Denali) ...
Read more : Mountaineering Fee Increases: Denali/Rainier | Views : 7529 | Replies : 31

Help with a serious question.

Okay, I know how this could go straight away but I am going to try and get the "real" answer to this question and the source of the answer (if known).

Here goes - control yourselves:

Why are mountains referred to as being female?

Example: Ships are referred to as being female.

Fire away, but I really would like the historic answer.
Read more : Help with a serious question. | Views : 11715 | Replies : 51

Is there any Climber who climbed all peaks above 26000 feet

There are many who climbed all the 8000 meter peaks, but i don't know if any one has ever tried to climb all peaks above 26000 feet.
Remember there are 14 peaks above 8000 meters and and 18 above 26000 feet. So after summiting 14 8000er's one have to climb just 4 more peaks to become the first person to clilmb all the peaks above 26000 feet.

This is the list of peaks above 26000 ...
Read more : Is there any Climber who climbed all peaks above 26000 feet | Views : 13820 | Replies : 28

First ascents in new? light

Unfortunately it seems as if many summit claims nowadays are false.

One wonders, how many of the first ascents of eight-thousanders who would stand up to the scrutiny of today? Can someone with some historical insight share some data on summitphotos, circumstances etc. of these first ascents?

As much as I would love Buhl for instance to have climbed NP, I dont see his summit photo as much of a proof other than that he ...
Read more : First ascents in new? light | Views : 7532 | Replies : 33

What are some good songs that give you that boost on trail ?

I like the silence very much but after some time i need some noise ! Im going on my annual solo backpacking trip and this time im taking music....it helps me on the boring parts of the trail and at night to relax.....what are some good trail songs ?
Read more : What are some good songs that give you that boost on trail ? | Views : 4841 | Replies : 20

24 hrs on Pen Y Fan, South Wales, UK

Hi all, I just stumbled upon this site and thought you might like to read my blog?
www.12in24.blogspot.com

Great find, I'm enjoying reading about the Rockies :-)
Lee
Read more : 24 hrs on Pen Y Fan, South Wales, UK | Views : 571 | Replies : 0

Getting into technical climbing

I am looking to move from just hiking into the world of climbing sometime "soon". I have been wondering, how do you transition into technical climbing? I just did my first class 3 peak (Buck Mountain in the Tetons) last week and I immediately fell in love with the more challenging terrain. I am not looking to make it into technical climbing this season (I work in Yellowstone), but I would love to maybe slowly ...
Read more : Getting into technical climbing | Views : 1278 | Replies : 6

How did you start? Your first climbs??

Its been a few days since i first came here and discovered the world of climbing!!

So what got me thinking was...how did you all start? Long walks as a kid? Read a book in school? What got you into this?

What were your first climbs?

Yes I am sooooo passing the time at work ;) but it would be interesting to hear everyones stories
Read more : How did you start? Your first climbs?? | Views : 22276 | Replies : 92

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557934 • Total topics 55835 • Total members 136369