It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:44 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Alpine climber

I have just had a interesting PM conversation, which caused me to wonder how the alpine climbers among us define "alpine climber".

The person I had this conversation with, did not make a distinction between alpine climber and alpine style climber.

To me, the first is about which kind of mountains, the second about how you climb them. A rather important distinction. But maybe it doesn't exist?

What say you?

(Of course I know that ...
Read more : Alpine climber | Views : 22839 | Replies : 68

Climb Kili for a Cause

In case summitting Africa’s tallest peak wasn’t enough of an incentive on its own, why not Climb Kilimanjaro and help build a better health system for Africa? My name is Josh and I am with the Touch Foundation, a non-profit organization working in Tanzania to address the health care crisis in sub-Saharan Africa. We work with private and public institutions to create more health care workers and facilities and provide the average Tanzanian with the ...
Read more : Climb Kili for a Cause | Views : 580 | Replies : 1

Another SPrs view of Pellucid Wombats decisions

Mark has a very heartfelt article "Why we Climb...." that I'm sure many have read. One SPer has left a message to the article lambasting Mark and his actions. Maybe I shouldn't start this thread and this guy just goes away, or maybe he needs to be heard from some others on the subject. I can't speak from a technical perspective but from a humanistic standpoint, I can. I found his message to Mark rather ...
Read more : Another SPrs view of Pellucid Wombats decisions | Views : 31395 | Replies : 200

Debris covered glacier

Something I've been thinking on, how safe is it to walk on a glacier that is completely covered by rocks/boulders?
Read more : Debris covered glacier | Views : 7314 | Replies : 18

DuckDuckGo now has a !summitpost operator

Hi all,
I've been using the new search engine DuckDuckGo, which is more anonymous, quicker, less cluttered than Google, and also offers a nice keyboard interface (vi-like keys to scan results).

But more importantly, they have a neat feature that lets you run a search directly in an important site. I requested a summitpost operator and they obliged, so in the search box you can type !summitpost Owens River Gorge and directly run the search ...
Read more : DuckDuckGo now has a !summitpost operator | Views : 5569 | Replies : 26

More than 14 8K peaks

We all know that there are 14 mountains with summits higher than 8000 meters but a few of them have more than one. For example, Lhotse has three: Lhotse Main 8516m, Lhotse Shar 8383m and Lhotse Middle or East 8413m. I've counted about 23.

Are there any climbers who have climbed them all? Who has the most?
Read more : More than 14 8K peaks | Views : 3605 | Replies : 5

How many people have climbed icebergs?

I'm trying to figure out how many people have climbed icebergs, not beached bergs in Antarctica, but icebergs completely surrounded by water. I know Will Gadd and Ben Firth did it. Twight climbed icebergs for a cigarette commercial. Who else has climbed icebergs?
Read more : How many people have climbed icebergs? | Views : 4930 | Replies : 9

"Similar" mountains in the world

Hello SP'ers!!

I don't know if this is the best place to open the topic, but I prefer open here than South America regional board, because more people can show another examples and similarities about rock formations or mountains in the world.

I have a good example about this research, showing two places of different continents: South America and Africa. In despite of these two continents were united ( all continents ), the coincidence is ...
Read more : "Similar" mountains in the world | Views : 2608 | Replies : 1

mt charleston

does anyone know what the snow conditions are like on Charleston? going up with my cousin memorial day weekend but he doesn't do snow, wondering how high we can go.
thanks in advance.
Read more : mt charleston | Views : 1692 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557946 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136400