It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:46 pm

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Ueli Steck is coming to Belgium

Not to climb - obviously, but he'll be giving a presentation about his solo ascents. If you should happen to be in Brussels on 01.07.2010 at 20H00, you could go and watch him. I've got my ticket delivered to me yesterday and at only € 10 I think it's pretty cheap.
Read more : Ueli Steck is coming to Belgium | Views : 979 | Replies : 0

What was that movie?

I think a year or so ago there was an excellent on-line movie posted here and on other boards of two or three young climbers making a harrowing multi-day ascent of some crazy vertical pinnacle, I think in the Himalayas. The context of the posting was that the filmmakers had recently died during an unrelated climb.

Sorry, that's all I have . Anyone have any ideas what I'm talking about?
Read more : What was that movie? | Views : 2716 | Replies : 6

Energy Expenditure at Altitude - Not really the hypoxia

After getting into the estimation of calories burned while hiking, someone brought up the fact that I didn't consider the altitude. Well I looked up a review research article and wrote up and interpreted what it said.

Basically they found that cold temperatures were the cause for increased basal metabolic rate at altitude, not hypoxia (although needs many more studies). They also stated that actual work performed at altitude (like hiking / climbing) does not ...
Read more : Energy Expenditure at Altitude - Not really the hypoxia | Views : 1938 | Replies : 3

Trekking Trip for Women?

My wife wants to go on an adventure. Not climbing, but trekking, anyone know of organized trips for women only? North America preferred, but open to suggestions.
Read more : Trekking Trip for Women? | Views : 4505 | Replies : 9

Montain trips during business trips

Borut's newest article on the front page inspired me a little idea, why not make a compilation ("list" page ?) of all trips to mountains undertaken during the time of a business trip ? I've read a couple and I think there's something quite funny and entertaining to do about it :)
Go ahead for some TR or article links ! ...
Read more : Montain trips during business trips | Views : 4657 | Replies : 21

smoking ad?!

agh - is it me?! At the bottom of the page, when I scroll down is a smoking ad. Or should I say a no-smoke, smoking ad.

I watched my dad die a horrible long painful death that I wish on no one. It was directly caused by tobacco use.

In his memory, I'll stand up and say, this is nuts. I do not expect to see this type of advertisement on summitpost.
(smoke or ...
Read more : smoking ad?! | Views : 1900 | Replies : 14

Summitpost mention in Alpinist

Has anybody else noticed it in Alpinist 30? Pretty cool, huh?
Read more : Summitpost mention in Alpinist | Views : 4720 | Replies : 13

How many people have climbed them all?

I’m attempting my last 3 California 14’ers this summer. After that I plan to turn my attention to Rainier, and then the balance of my Colorado 14’ers. If I finish this up how small a club would I join? 100? 1,000?

In Colorado bagging 14’ers seems to be quite a popular pastime. I’m guessing there maybe thousands of people who may have bagged them all? Here in California most people don’t even know what a ...
Read more : How many people have climbed them all? | Views : 36615 | Replies : 43

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557929 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136359