It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Happy Anniversary - 9 years of SummitPost

It is now March 19 in Europe (CET), so it is time to celebrate the 9 years of SummitPost!

Aaron, with what has happened lately, I think the time is ripe for for part IV of the SummitPost story!
Read more : Happy Anniversary - 9 years of SummitPost | Views : 4294 | Replies : 13

Aaaaaa, will I ever understand?

I know this subject has been discussed (at length) in the past, but I still don't understand the way people vote on SP.

Seems like there's a group of people (no names) who always end up having their photos
displayed on the front page.

Wouldn't it be better to vote on photos from other folks for a change? Or, would that be
too drastic of a change for some people ???

I mean, I LOVE ...
Read more : Aaaaaa, will I ever understand? | Views : 7852 | Replies : 59

features on Everest's SW face & Noel Odell ?s

Hi,

My name is Kumar. I am not a climber, but a translator of Japanese comic books into English. I am currently translating a fictional 5-volume series called "Summit of the Gods" which climaxes in an insane attempt by one character to reach Everest's summit by the south-west route, solo, in winter, and without oxygen.

You can read a bit about the series in these places:
http://mangacritic.com/?p=2156
Read more : features on Everest's SW face & Noel Odell ?s | Views : 1487 | Replies : 4

Name that peak...

I need some help identifying the wall in this photo. I took the picture from a flight a couple of years ago and now I don't even remember if I was over the Sierra or the Rockies. I was flying back from the west coast, so it could be either. If you recognize the peak, I'd appreciate you helping me out.

Wide angle for perspective.
Read more : Name that peak... | Views : 3392 | Replies : 3

You most memorable mountain(s)

What are your most memorable mountains and why? The view? The hike? The danger? The company?

Two really stick out for me:

1. Kings Peak. The tallest mountain in Utah. It was memorable because I did it with my brother who I don't see very often, and we did it in a day. It's also a beautiful, beautiful area.

2. Mt. Rainier. A great trip with great friends. Perfect weather. Great conditions. Long, physically demanding ...
Read more : You most memorable mountain(s) | Views : 6137 | Replies : 28

Gear slipped into cracks and inaccesible cavities

This topic is only for telling your stories about things being accidentally slipped or gotten into inaccesible hollows as fissures, fallen into cracks in glaciers or below snow patches, etc. There are other topics for things being forgotten on the ground, rocks, meadows, snow or other surfaces. Please do not use this thread for that.

I thought on creating this topic after my new mobile phone was blown by the wind, slipped up on a ...
Read more : Gear slipped into cracks and inaccesible cavities | Views : 3984 | Replies : 20

Why do we climb?

I made a 4 minutes video of my climbing and mountain photography, to be shown at the Sheffield Adventure Film Festival last weekend. It won the first prize (Arc'teryx goodies, yay), and I thought people in here might enjoy it too:

Why do we climb?

Edit: humpf, can't embed video in the forums. Here is a link, then.

Re-edit: it's now got its very own custom object, feel free to vote it to the frontpage. ...
Read more : Why do we climb? | Views : 6072 | Replies : 20

Contribute your lost car keys stories..

Ok, we've talked about stupid Marmots and dumb decisions...

Now let's hear a few lost car key stories.

The legendary "Burt" from Mazamas tells the story how he hiked 6 miles in... took off his shorts and took a dip in a lake. He hiked 6 miles back to the car and realized his car keys likely fell out of his shorts. He hiked 6 miles back in and found his keys in the ...
Read more : Contribute your lost car keys stories.. | Views : 12839 | Replies : 32

Converting a van into a climbing van

So I will be converting my moms dodge crysler van, ~2002 into a climbing van for the summer. I would love to build a platform in the back to sleep on and then shove gear in bins under the platform. I was wondering if anyone here has some photos or suggestions on what to do to my van to make it comfy and organized for a long road trip
Read more : Converting a van into a climbing van | Views : 11750 | Replies : 16

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557889 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136293