It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:24 pm

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Do you get remote?

I was just playing with Google Earth and realized how much of the planet would be considered remote. I mean, if you want to get remote, you can. But then, what is remote? There are towns in the middle of China that I guess I would consider remote and they have a 100 thousand people living there. How can that be remote. Is remote relative to whoever is trying to get away? The Mariana trench ...
Read more : Do you get remote? | Views : 5613 | Replies : 17

Defending the Animals

click through photos in Summitpost.Get excited.Arrange babysitter.trip to REI.Taxi. Airplane. Rental Car. Cheap Hotel.Long hike in.Camping for Days.Time.Money.Lots of money.This dried food sucks.Finally it happens.I see you.I'm stunned.Snap photo.Glow for hours.Laughter.Almost giddiness.Hike out.Cheap Hotel. Rental Car. Airplane ride.Taxi.Wash the mud off clothes.Post photo.Tell friends.It was the highlight of our trip. We talk about it for years later. The Bear we saw. The wolf we saw. The moose we saw. The eagle we saw.

Then when ...
Read more : Defending the Animals | Views : 4328 | Replies : 21

Happy Anniversary - 9 years of SummitPost

It is now March 19 in Europe (CET), so it is time to celebrate the 9 years of SummitPost!

Aaron, with what has happened lately, I think the time is ripe for for part IV of the SummitPost story!
Read more : Happy Anniversary - 9 years of SummitPost | Views : 4381 | Replies : 13

Aaaaaa, will I ever understand?

I know this subject has been discussed (at length) in the past, but I still don't understand the way people vote on SP.

Seems like there's a group of people (no names) who always end up having their photos
displayed on the front page.

Wouldn't it be better to vote on photos from other folks for a change? Or, would that be
too drastic of a change for some people ???

I mean, I LOVE ...
Read more : Aaaaaa, will I ever understand? | Views : 8048 | Replies : 59

features on Everest's SW face & Noel Odell ?s

Hi,

My name is Kumar. I am not a climber, but a translator of Japanese comic books into English. I am currently translating a fictional 5-volume series called "Summit of the Gods" which climaxes in an insane attempt by one character to reach Everest's summit by the south-west route, solo, in winter, and without oxygen.

You can read a bit about the series in these places:
http://mangacritic.com/?p=2156
Read more : features on Everest's SW face & Noel Odell ?s | Views : 1505 | Replies : 4

Name that peak...

I need some help identifying the wall in this photo. I took the picture from a flight a couple of years ago and now I don't even remember if I was over the Sierra or the Rockies. I was flying back from the west coast, so it could be either. If you recognize the peak, I'd appreciate you helping me out.

Wide angle for perspective.
Read more : Name that peak... | Views : 3424 | Replies : 3

You most memorable mountain(s)

What are your most memorable mountains and why? The view? The hike? The danger? The company?

Two really stick out for me:

1. Kings Peak. The tallest mountain in Utah. It was memorable because I did it with my brother who I don't see very often, and we did it in a day. It's also a beautiful, beautiful area.

2. Mt. Rainier. A great trip with great friends. Perfect weather. Great conditions. Long, physically demanding ...
Read more : You most memorable mountain(s) | Views : 6263 | Replies : 28

Gear slipped into cracks and inaccesible cavities

This topic is only for telling your stories about things being accidentally slipped or gotten into inaccesible hollows as fissures, fallen into cracks in glaciers or below snow patches, etc. There are other topics for things being forgotten on the ground, rocks, meadows, snow or other surfaces. Please do not use this thread for that.

I thought on creating this topic after my new mobile phone was blown by the wind, slipped up on a ...
Read more : Gear slipped into cracks and inaccesible cavities | Views : 4100 | Replies : 20

Why do we climb?

I made a 4 minutes video of my climbing and mountain photography, to be shown at the Sheffield Adventure Film Festival last weekend. It won the first prize (Arc'teryx goodies, yay), and I thought people in here might enjoy it too:

Why do we climb?

Edit: humpf, can't embed video in the forums. Here is a link, then.

Re-edit: it's now got its very own custom object, feel free to vote it to the frontpage. ...
Read more : Why do we climb? | Views : 6198 | Replies : 20

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557944 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136393