It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:14 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Looking for a Backpack/Climb for Wifey and Me

My wife is looking for a goal to motivate her to lose some weight. She mentioned she might like to hike/climb with me. I suggested something along the lines of a three day, two night backpack/climb of Mount Langley in the Sierra. She didn't like the idea because I'd already been there. So now I ask for your help in a possible climb with the following criteria:

- Air travel from Dallas/Fort Worth, TX preferred ...
Read more : Looking for a Backpack/Climb for Wifey and Me | Views : 4676 | Replies : 20

ILLEGAL FEE PROGRAM INVADES WYOMING

The ongoing, and spreading, fee scam has made its way into the last stronghold of the less government concept, Wyoming.

According to the WESTERN SLOPE NO FEE COALITION:

The Bighorn N F is planning to start charging a $10/day parking fee at the main trailhead into the Cloud Peak Wilderness (Cloud Peak, Darton Peak) in the Bighorn Range in Wyoming. When I challenged them because parking fees are illegal, they pulled the original notice from ...
Read more : ILLEGAL FEE PROGRAM INVADES WYOMING | Views : 18525 | Replies : 123

Article about Royal Robbins by Sp'er MichaelJ in WSJ

Did not see info about this this posted elsewhere ...
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 95444.html

I got to the paragraph:
"Within a few years of taking up the sport Mr. Robbins free climbed a route called Open Book in Tahquitz, in the mountains near Palm Springs. It was the hardest climb anyone had ever done in the U.S. (Trust me: It's still not an easy romp.)"

I then guessed the author, ...
Read more : Article about Royal Robbins by Sp'er MichaelJ in WSJ | Views : 1558 | Replies : 1

what is this ?

was hiking in bowl of fire and saw this. thought it was a lithic at first, then thought maybe a tooth ? or is it just a very serrated flake of rock ?

Read more : what is this ? | Views : 3976 | Replies : 11

american mountain guides assoc. guide manual

The best recent addition to my library of climbing books has been "The Stonemasters, California Rock Climbers in the Seventies."

That crew revolutionized California climbing, and they didn't need an instruction book to make it happen.
Read more : american mountain guides assoc. guide manual | Views : 3138 | Replies : 2

whatcha get?

Merry Christmas or other holiday! whatcha get?

I got my own bouldering wall in my basement! New rock shoes, ski goggles, a chalk bag and chalk! Did anyone else get some rad stuff for the holidays?
(I'll put some pics of the wall on the post in a little)

*i know this has probably been asked before, but whatever
Read more : whatcha get? | Views : 3204 | Replies : 20

Merry Christmas, Happy Solstice and etc

Thank you Lolli!!

for all of you, May the Peace and Joy of Christmas fill your hearts and those of your children!!

FWIW, here in the U.S., much store is set by having a "White Christmas" and we have that here, and in much of the country. Somewhat unusual, so it's a very special Christmas indeed.
Read more : Merry Christmas, Happy Solstice and etc | Views : 2643 | Replies : 5

camp 4 1963

Image Image Hosting

Sorting out pitons for the third ascent of the Nose on El Capitan, 1963. Photo by Glen Denny.

http://www.glendenny.com/
Read more : camp 4 1963 | Views : 2020 | Replies : 5

seVen

Trailer has recently been launched...

Looks pretty awesome - anyone know anything about it?

www.unite4seven.com

Click on the trailer bit... anyone know what channel this will be on?

Merry xmas all -

Roons
Read more : seVen | Views : 3350 | Replies : 16

Is this a reasonable pack weight?

I am heading out for about 2 weeks in the Pyrenees. Just weighed my pack at 56 lbs, and I still have to toss in another 10 lbs of food.

This weight includes everything I am bringing except that 10 lbs of food, water, and boots.
snowshoes
crampons
mountaineering axe
helmet
harness
winter bag
thermarest
bivy
long underwear, fleece, down, shell, mitts, hat, socks etc
about 9 lbs or rice, chocolate, peanutbutter, cashews (more food ...
Read more : Is this a reasonable pack weight? | Views : 4333 | Replies : 11

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557934 • Total topics 55835 • Total members 136369