It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:38 pm

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Mountaineering training institutes

Can someone recommend a mountaineering training institute in Asia or Europe?
Read more : Mountaineering training institutes | Views : 1554 | Replies : 0

discovery channel everest 2009

does anyone know when this show is going to air? I heard fall 2009, but it has almost came and gone. the first 2 seasons were good, so i've been anxious. The only think that sucks its that the show has to come on at like 11pm on a tuesday night, wtf.
Read more : discovery channel everest 2009 | Views : 13435 | Replies : 59

Free full screen topo maps & display GPS track

Hello Everyone,

My name is Joseph Elfelt and I have a Thanksgiving Day present for you. I’ve written a map viewing program based on Google maps and including the detailed 7.5 minute topo maps from the MyTopo company. http://www.mytopo.com/ Here’s an example showing the visitor center at Mt. Rainier:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=46.785956,-121.737785&z=14

The topo maps include the USFS updates to the USGS topo maps. These updates cover many (but certainly not all) national forest areas and show ...
Read more : Free full screen topo maps & display GPS track | Views : 29033 | Replies : 38

Cost of 14 months climbing?

Anyone ever get the urge to drop everything and just go away for a while and climb?

As a teacher I could do deferred sabaticles or just take off and take a year leave of absence.

Question though - how much money you think I'd need saved up to climb all over and keep myself goin for 14 months away from my income.

I know it depends how much I'm willing to cut in terms ...
Read more : Cost of 14 months climbing? | Views : 5168 | Replies : 17

Hidden Expedition: Everest game

Found this slickdeals the other day. Can download the full version of this game from Big Fish Games for free with the promotional code EVERESTFREE. It's regularly only like $7, so it's not a huge deal, but free is good.

Hidden Expedition: Everest

I've installed the game but haven't played. Apparently you pick up hidden objects in your quest to summit Everest. Ed Viesturs is supposed to have some "exclusive footage" in the game...

Anyway. ...
Read more : Hidden Expedition: Everest game | Views : 1637 | Replies : 0

Hazard Stevens, Medal of Honor Recipient

I was reading a Veterans Day article on Harvard graduates who won the Congressional Medal of Honor and came across a familiar name in mountaineering history - Hazard Stevens, who together with PB Van Trump, made the first documented ascent of Mt. Rainier in 1870. Stevens has an interesting background in addition to his mountaineering first ascent.

Before climbing Rainier, he fought on the Union side in the US Civil War, in the second battle ...
Read more : Hazard Stevens, Medal of Honor Recipient | Views : 2299 | Replies : 3

Need Help Manipulating My Profile Page

I haven't had a profile here for very long and was playing around with it this morning. I, however, was not really able to find a way to change the names of the categories below the picture/info box at the top. I've seen on peoples profiles things named "My Mountains and Rocks" or "Summit Logs I've Signed", but for the life of me cannot figure out how to get those things on mine and then ...
Read more : Need Help Manipulating My Profile Page | Views : 1939 | Replies : 5

Short video from Virginia's highest point

I always start with saying that I am doing these climbs for a fundraiser, and I am not trying to trick you into donating by posting the videos here. So please don't freak out and think I am trying to spam you.

I thought that some of you might get a kick out of it, so I wanted to post it up here. I didn't get any of the miniture horses that run around the ...
Read more : Short video from Virginia's highest point | Views : 1309 | Replies : 0

Expedition grants available from the Mazamas

I'm trying to spread awareness of the following grant available from the Mazama Expedition Committee. If you are planning a significant climb or expedition for 2010 please take a look and consider applying.

Alpine Adventure Grant

This grant is for non-Mazama members and members alike. The goal of this grant is to promote adventurous climbing and provide resources for climbers to explore and attempt challenging climbs. While trips do not need to be at the ...
Read more : Expedition grants available from the Mazamas | Views : 1418 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557945 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136395