It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:47 pm

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Drytooling in Berlin

Hi everyone,

I am looking for an indoor drytooling club/gym in Berlin.
Does anyone know any? I couldn't find any info in google :(

Thank you,
Read more : Drytooling in Berlin | Views : 1438 | Replies : 0

Mt St Helens glissading

I plan to climb Mt St Helens in mid-May. Will there still be enough snow to make glissading doable?
Read more : Mt St Helens glissading | Views : 1519 | Replies : 0

Suggestion on course at Mont Blanc

Hi!

Me and a friend are looking to get into mountaineering, and we set our sights on climbing Mont Blanc and combining it with a course to get the basics.

However there seems to be more operators out the than you can shake the proverbial stick at.

Any suggestions on who is preferred?

There is Chamonix experience, adventure consultants, mountain madness etc.

Any suggestions is appreciated!
Read more : Suggestion on course at Mont Blanc | Views : 1781 | Replies : 1

Combo routes? Attempting to be youngest to do lower 48 14ers

From what I have gathered (this could be incorrect?), the youngest person to summit all of the contiguous US 14ers did so at 27 (Brian Kalet). See contiguous US 14ers page on SP. I have heard of a few others that have gotten close to lowering this age, but haven't seen any confirmation of this. Feel free to prove me wrong here if you know otherwise :D ...
Read more : Combo routes? Attempting to be youngest to do lower 48 14ers | Views : 2703 | Replies : 4

Books by US Highpoints 50-completers

I can only find three books written by U.S highpoint completers.

1.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1933251441
2.https://www.amazon.com/Great-Quest-Fifty-State-Points/dp/1481776703
3. https://www.amazon.com/All-Fifty-Journey-Highest-Point/dp/B09M5HLDST

Anyone know of any others? I'm not interested in guide book, nor books on the subject written by someone who didn't actually do all 50 US state highpoints. Thanks!
Read more : Books by US Highpoints 50-completers | Views : 2560 | Replies : 4

Trekking peaks in Nepal

Hi all, I'm looking for trekking peak ideas in and around the Everest region that I could add on to my two other planned climbs. I'm planning on Lobuche and Island Peak, but climbing both of those still allow time for a first peak as an acclimatization effort. I'm not really interested in a climb of the typical 3 Peaks/3 Passes peaks. Does anyone have any ideas for something a bit more technical than those ...
Read more : Trekking peaks in Nepal | Views : 1439 | Replies : 0

Honor Among Climbers - Or Lack Thereof

This is about the change in climbers and the change in American society that occurred in the early 1980s.

I was fortunate to cut my big wall teeth in Yosemite Valley in the 1970s. We were homeless Camp 4 bums, living in Yosemite Valley for months at a time. We ate out of dumpsters, scarfed abandoned food in the cafeteria, collected bottles and cans for the nickel deposit, and hitch-hiked everywhere.

Life in Camp 4 ...
Read more : Honor Among Climbers - Or Lack Thereof | Views : 6525 | Replies : 10

"Forbidden" error?

Has anyone gotten a "403 Forbidden" error when accessing Summitpost? I was using my normal home google account and accessed the site one minute. The very next minute it told me "403 Forbidden" and I have not been able to get into Summitpost again from that account. I'm unsure why it changed and why I can't access the site using that account but still can using my other (school) account which I don't wnat to ...
Read more : "Forbidden" error? | Views : 3661 | Replies : 4

Mountaineering "Up and Over"

I'm looking for accounts of difficult summits that were climbed up alpine style and then down a different route.

Sort of a "functional" mountaineering. Book titles would be great.

Thanks.
Read more : Mountaineering "Up and Over" | Views : 5035 | Replies : 9

Loops in the Palisades; is this insane?

I'm looking for a backpacking loop in the Palisades. I came across this old article in Backpacker magazine: https://www.backpacker.com/trips/kings- ... palisades/

The route given goes over 5 passes, and includes quite specific waypoints:

WPT001
WPT002
Knapsack Pass
WPT003
Thunderbolt Pass
WPT004
Scimitar Pass
WPT005
Jigsaw Pass

So, I started making maps and HOLY LEVITATION BATMAN, ...
Read more : Loops in the Palisades; is this insane? | Views : 1697 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557934 • Total topics 55835 • Total members 136368