It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Seeking recommendations on US road trip

Hey folks, first time poster, long time lurker here.

I am planning a road trip from June to December, with the aim to visit as many national parks and places of interest as possible, and climb a few mountains of course. I was looking for some recommendations to add to the list, and also to start planning our route more seriously.

So far, this is what we have:
-Maine: Katahdin
-Wyoming: Middle Teton (maybe Grand, ...
Read more : Seeking recommendations on US road trip | Views : 7513 | Replies : 15

Sierra guidebook - missing pages

I just bought Secor's Peaks - Passes - Trails, 3rd ed.

The pages are all fucked up. Is this a known problem, or did I just get a bad copy?

It goes from p. 240 to p. 193

It's missing pages 241-289.

etc.
Read more : Sierra guidebook - missing pages | Views : 1976 | Replies : 1

Highpointing

Hi! My wife and I are highpointing every state in the US. I wanted to hear more about your highpointing adventures! She made a beautiful board to track which ones we've completed!
Read more : Highpointing | Views : 3126 | Replies : 3

Help climbing photos to win RedBull challenge

Hello climbers,

can you please help climbing photo to win at RedBull photo challenge? 12 hours left.
You can vote for it here:
redbullillume.com/contest/special-image-quest-2020/week-1.html?tx_zoatrbilinstagramcontest_pi1%5Bmedia%5D=135&tx_zoatrbilinstagramcontest_pi1%5Baction%5D=gallery&tx_zoatrbilinstagramcontest_pi1%5Bcontroller%5D=Contest&cHash=3d5bc519e3ccdfb0bf6fe36a2b82cea2

Together we are stronger!

Thank you in advance!
Read more : Help climbing photos to win RedBull challenge | Views : 2154 | Replies : 0

Long mountaineering challenges

Hi all - I'm a New Zealand-based mountaineer who is new to this forum. In NZ we have a '100 peaks challenge' that features 100 great routes. These range from very easy to very hard, from easily accessible to quite remote, from long climbs on our highest mountains to shorter climbs on smaller peaks. Any such list is of course highly subjective, but I think it helps get the ideas flowing.

Any ideas for other ...
Read more : Long mountaineering challenges | Views : 9340 | Replies : 13

Thanks Covid

I've wanted to climb Mt. Rainier for a long time, but never had the money to pay for a guide service. And all of their trips usually sell out before I could register.

But I wondered if the quarantine and economics of the shut down would cause people to cancel their plans. I called Alpine Ascents to see if their trips were still full. It turns out they were having a "lot of movement" with ...
Read more : Thanks Covid | Views : 3623 | Replies : 3

Peak Identification?

peakname.jpg
Read more : Peak Identification? | Views : 2474 | Replies : 2

Mountain Travel Research

Hope everybody is looking forward to traveling. While we are sitting and waiting, I’d like to look back on recent adventures. I’m doing :idea: research "from idea to the trip" among mountain lovers and I prepared questionnaire. Please, find 10-15 min to fill in the form:
https://forms.gle/YHkw5VpHQPnDa4t57

Anyway, if you’d like to share your experience in a conversation pm me — zoom/skype/whatsapp/fb are our doors to any world.
Read more : Mountain Travel Research | Views : 3655 | Replies : 5

How to add contours to a map

I make trail maps that can be useful to hikers and mountaineers. Some of the areas I map have outstanding mountain scenery, but are located in areas where local regulations "frown" on independent, non-official mapmaking. To the detriment of the outdoor community, unfortunately.

My current goal is to add contour intervals to my maps. This would greatly increase their useability. So far, I have been using OpenTopoMap org as a source. OpenTopoMap solves one ...
Read more : How to add contours to a map | Views : 1716 | Replies : 0

Roll Call

So who's still around? Let's hear from you.

I miss all the SP old timers.
Read more : Roll Call | Views : 9031 | Replies : 17

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557888 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136291