It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:58 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Insanity Redux

I’m sitting here contemplating my navel about the fact that I have attempted to summit a 6000 meter trekking peak 4 times, unsuccessfully, the last time 2 years ago on Chimborazo when I was 64. I made it to high camp 3 times (including Mera at 19.21k ft.) but turned back due to exhaustion twice (and conditions once). I swore off trying again, but here I am at 66 thinking about another go.

I’m an ...
Read more : Insanity Redux | Views : 2910 | Replies : 2

Guided backpacking trip advice

Planning a 4-5 backpacking trip somewhere in the continental US this summer with my 22 year-old daughter. We are both in very good physical condition, but we have only limited camping experience and only very light backpacking. I'm convinced that we should do a guided tour and have done a little research on some of the more popular companies, like REI and Wildland Trekking. Any advice out there about how to get the most bang ...
Read more : Guided backpacking trip advice | Views : 3273 | Replies : 2

Denali in Spring 2020? I would like to join.

I'm contemplating a Denali attempt this spring, currently don't have any climbing partners, and am reluctant to sign up with a guide service, mostly because of cost. If you need a replacement on a team (I can mobilize quickly), or are in the same circumstance as me, please drop a note. I am mostly geared up, would need to buy some more equipment beforehand. Have some, but not a great amount, of mountaineering experience.
Pete
Read more : Denali in Spring 2020? I would like to join. | Views : 2288 | Replies : 0

What's everyone story of how they got into rock climbing?

I did a recent post at larockclimb.wordpress.com regarding how I got into rock climbing and I was interested in hearing other people's stories regarding their own experiences getting into the sport.
Read more : What's everyone story of how they got into rock climbing? | Views : 4262 | Replies : 5

How drinking water from freezing?

hi all,
I was wondering how everyone prevents their drinking water from freezing while out in extremely cold conditions. I've read some methods online but wanted to know what peoples real experiences are with keeping their water warm.

For full disclosure I'm a design student with 4 years experience looking at creating a hydration product to be used specifically in below freezing conditions and would love to hear your thoughts!

Read more : How drinking water from freezing? | Views : 2352 | Replies : 1

Colorado Best 14er to hike for beginners

Hello, was looking for best and/or easiest 14er in Colorado to hike up for beginners(I have climbed once, friend hasn't climbed at all) with some good backpacking trails with great scenery. And also the ones that wouldn't be so busy (lots of hikers) say in Mid to late Sept. And not Windom, looked into that one and seemed to be a hard one to climb.
Read more : Colorado Best 14er to hike for beginners | Views : 2930 | Replies : 2

Climbing Mount Rainier Jan/Feb, actual helpful input?

Just a little background. Trained and experienced mountaineer, have done many climbs. Also have avy certification/experience, as well as crevasse/glacier travel training and experience. All of this goes for my group I am climbing with as well, minus one of the 6 of us and he is in for a treat :) really though it will be good learning for him. My goal here is not to ...
Read more : Climbing Mount Rainier Jan/Feb, actual helpful input? | Views : 4260 | Replies : 4

Cleaning the highest summits of Europe

Hi all!

I know it's a first post, but I wanted to share with you a recent challenge I undertook: climbing solo and unassisted (aka Alpine style) the highest point of each European country, all while picking up the litter left by other hikers/alpinists.

Being raised in a mountain environment, it always bothered me to see people (even so-called mountain-lovers) just leaving their trash all over the slopes.
When I was younger I was part ...
Read more : Cleaning the highest summits of Europe | Views : 2650 | Replies : 1

I want to share an interesting information for you

I was wondering what would be the seven highest mountains on the seven largest islands?
Here is a list to start with
Greenland - Gunnbjorn Fjeld - 3693m
New Guinea - Cerstenzs (Puncak Jaya} - 5030m
Borneo - Kinabalu - 4101m
Madegascar - Maromokotro - 2876m
Baffin Island - Tete Blanche - 2156m
Sumatra - Kerinei - 3800m
Honshu - Fuji - 3776m
Would Mt Cook in New Zealand or Mt Teide on the Canary ...
Read more : I want to share an interesting information for you | Views : 2964 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557889 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136293