It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:01 am

News News of Mexico, Central America and Caribbean

Site map of Mexico, Central America and Caribbean » Forum : Mexico, Central America and Caribbean

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.

Partners for Orizaba

Looking at a super soon trip for the end of March (3/16 to 4/1 is my window). I’ve mainly been active in the White Mtns in NH in full winter conditions this season. Confident with route finding. Planning to acclimate several days prior. I hope to go unguided but would prefer a partner or two for safety, etc.
Read more : Partners for Orizaba | Views : 2658 | Replies : 0

Baja California Almanac - availablity update

Hi folks,

FYI update on availability of the Baja California Almanac and the Baja California Peninsula Detailed Topographic Map (Fold-out, 2015 version):

"Landon died, and although he had completed (or nearly completed) the maps in early 2015 he did not get the chance to publish it.
I have posted a digital copy of the updated book and fold-out map here on the website for personal, non-commercial use. They are both flattened/rasterized.
There will not be ...
Read more : Baja California Almanac - availablity update | Views : 5740 | Replies : 1

Picacho del Diablo

Is anyone interested in climbing Picacho del Diablo next month? Supposedly it is the most scenic and spectacular mountain in Mexico. It has been on my list for quite a while. It's mostly a class 3-4 with a little class 5 on good granite and usually takes several days.

If I'm not on a project by then, I could wait until April as well.

Read more : Picacho del Diablo | Views : 6336 | Replies : 1

Hiking high around Mexico City

What nice (non-boring) hikes can be done without guides around Mexico City that reach altitudes around ~4000m/13K'? We like to hike at altitude but are not climbers (no technical knowledge/gear) and would like to do some other high hikes besides Nevado de Toluca.

Thank you.

PS: Are accounts at SP deleted after some period if not active? I hadn't logged in in a while (2-3 yrs?) and had to re-register as neither my username, nor ...
Read more : Hiking high around Mexico City | Views : 2151 | Replies : 0

Rope on Iztaccihuatl?

Hi,

I'm wondering what people are doing on Iztaccihuatl regarding ropes. From bottom to Groupo it's not required. And after Groupo, at what time does it become a good idea? I went there last year and went pretty high (Was too slow to summit) and we never felt the need of the rope (Even if we had it with us). When does it get used?

Thanks,

JM
Read more : Rope on Iztaccihuatl? | Views : 4665 | Replies : 5

Orizaba Avalanche Forecast

Wondering if anyone knows where one could get a report on the snow conditions for Pico De Orizaba? Do they even have avalanche forecasting in Mexico?

It sounds like they're getting unusually heavy snow right now due to hurricane systems and it has me a bit concerned about my November 17th/18th climb. Hoping things have settled by then. I'm a bit worried about the time it will take to do snow pit tests if necessary, ...
Read more : Orizaba Avalanche Forecast | Views : 6044 | Replies : 2

Ayoloco Glacier

Anyone have any recent experience? Going for a solo attempt over Memorial Day weekend.

BTW...in need of Orizaba beta? PM me, just got done with successful ice climb of the standard route 8)
Read more : Ayoloco Glacier | Views : 4525 | Replies : 2

Jetboil fuel in Mexico City near TAPO?

Is there a place (maybe a sporting goods store) in Mexico City... hopefully near the bus station TAPO... to buy JetBoil fuel cannisters?... or a gas cannister with threads that would work?

I've read I can get fuel from Senor Reyes... but I'm going to Amecameca and Izta first... hoping to buy gas fuel in Mexico City before getting there...

Thanks in advance.
Read more : Jetboil fuel in Mexico City near TAPO? | Views : 4045 | Replies : 0

Citlaltepetl/Orizaba - Schedule, outfitters, partners

Hi all! I'll be heading to Mexico over Christmas, for a three week visit. I'd like to take a few days to climb Citlaltepetl. I'm looking for input on various practicalities, and how I should schedule the climb, given my previous experience.

Previous high altitude experience:
My most recent and relevant experience was Kazbek in the Caucasus (5033 m / 16512 ft, http://www.summitpost.org/mount-kazbek/154019), which I climbed in 2015. I ...
Read more : Citlaltepetl/Orizaba - Schedule, outfitters, partners | Views : 5934 | Replies : 4

Orizaba South Route

I'm considering trying Orizaba's south route this November and I'm looking for some beta. I haven't found much on SP or through my own searches so I'm hoping people can lend a hand. The key will be finding a ride to the hut from either El Ciudad Serdan or Atzinzitla (or somewhere else) and back. I plan on taking a bus from Mexico City to Puebla and then Puebla to whichever town/city offers the best ...
Read more : Orizaba South Route | Views : 4126 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557933 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136367