It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

News News of Mexico, Central America and Caribbean

Site map of Mexico, Central America and Caribbean » Forum : Mexico, Central America and Caribbean

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.

Questions about Iztacchihuatl & Orizaba in Mexico...

(1) Are there electrical outlets in the huts on Izta and Orizaba?... I've read Altzomoni on Izta has an electric light, but not sure if it has an electrical plug. Wondering also about electricity at Piedra Grande hut on Orizaba.

(2) The high hut (Grupo de los Cien at 15,300') on Izta looks like an old metal trailer. I imagine that would not be a good place to wait out a storm in the night. ...
Read more : Questions about Iztacchihuatl & Orizaba in Mexico... | Views : 5267 | Replies : 4

Climbing on Curacao

Hello all,

It seems this island is not very well known for climbing - is anyone climbing there? I'm trying to get in touch with climbers on Curacao.

Any information about climbing or bouldering locations is highly appreciated as well !

Regards Stefan
Read more : Climbing on Curacao | Views : 4743 | Replies : 2

Mexico Advice

Hi! My friends and I are looking into a quick trip to Mexico to climb Pico de Fraile, Itza and just a quick jaunt up Arista de Humbolt. We are all experienced mountaineers and climbers. We are looking into a guide service to basically take away the logistics. From looking at the routes, a guide is not necessary but might be nice for some in our party. Are their any inexpensive services that will work ...
Read more : Mexico Advice | Views : 7282 | Replies : 6

Mexico volcanos and guides

Hi everybody,
has anyone used explore-share.com to hire a guide and can share their experience?
We are looking into hiring a guide for Pico de Orizaba. Suggestions?
Also, we were thinking to hike first 2 or 3 mountains between: Malinche/Izta/Sierra Negra/Nevado de Toluca.
Any favorite or less favorite among those? (Or even, other suggestions?)
And last: is it reasonable to hope to get around without a car?
Thanks!
Read more : Mexico volcanos and guides | Views : 5373 | Replies : 3

Quick Summit of Orizaba

Hello,
I'm wondering if it is possible to do an Orizaba trip in only a few days. Most of the guided trips take 7-10+ days total. I just don't have that much vacation time to spare and I'm not too interested in doing the "culture" thing.

Is it possible to do something like fly in, drive to the trailhead, sleep at high camp, summit the next day, then fly out the third day?

I live ...
Read more : Quick Summit of Orizaba | Views : 7555 | Replies : 9

Costa Rica: Guanacaste, Cerro Barra Honda summit: any info?

Hi folks,
Looks like we will be doing a Kessel Run out to the coast at Samara, but hope to catch the caves and possibly the summit of Cerro Barra Honda in Barra Honda National Park (under a time crunch). It sounds like there is a trail to the top of Cerro Barra Honda, but there doesn't appear to be any clear information out there on the web. From what I've gathered appears there's a ...
Read more : Costa Rica: Guanacaste, Cerro Barra Honda summit: any info? | Views : 4001 | Replies : 0

mexic,pico de orizaba

Hello
in period
October 25 to November 8
I will be in Mexico City
where you go to Pico de Orizaba
someone wants
join me
in this expedition
daniel
Read more : mexic,pico de orizaba | Views : 4183 | Replies : 0

Mexican Volcanoes December

My son and I will be in Mexico between December 17-January 1 if anyone wants to join us for some volcano climbs.

Planned climbs are Iztaccihuatl, La Malinche, Cofre de Perote, and Orizaba. If time is available, Colima, Paricutin, and Ajusco could also be climbed. Rafting is also possible.

I expect the cost of the trip (without the rafting) to be around $500 plus airfare. We're planning on using public transport, budget hotels, and not ...
Read more : Mexican Volcanoes December | Views : 7438 | Replies : 5

Orizaba - New DGPS Altitude 2016

I summited Orizaba on 7th March 2016, the day before the crevasse incident mentioned in the post below. I broke my own trail, as snow the previous evening had covered any existing tracks. The route from my GPS is below, overlaid onto Google Earth imagery. I saw only two very narrow crevasses, barely big enough to get a boot in.

On the summit I ran a Trimble 5700 DGPS unit - the same one I ...
Read more : Orizaba - New DGPS Altitude 2016 | Views : 5702 | Replies : 1

Large Orizaba Crevasse--Normal Route (Jamapa Glacier) Large Orizaba Crevasse--Normal Route (Jamapa Glacier)

I am writing to inform the community about a large crevasse on Pico de Orizaba. The Internet says that the crevasses are very small: "A few fingers wide" "couldn't fit a chihuahua into it" "0.5 to 1 foot" etc. I took this advice to heart and started up Orizaba solo on February 8, 2016. At 18100 feet, I broke through apparently solid surface and fell 8 meters to the floor of a great crevasse. The ...
Read more : Large Orizaba Crevasse--Normal Route (Jamapa Glacier) | Views : 16134 | Replies : 12

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557888 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136291