It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:51 pm

News News of Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Site map of Mountain Medicine & Rescue » Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.

Asthma

My son was diagnosed with asthma. I know very little about the disease.

Can you still climb with it. We were planning a trip to Kili.

Any advice or info would be great.
Read more : Asthma | Views : 11558 | Replies : 14

Lyme Disease...

Anyone ever contract and have to deal with it before????

Symptoms etc....

Please post up!
Read more : Lyme Disease... | Views : 5861 | Replies : 25

Hiking with Morton's neuroma experience

Any experience/wisdom? It seems that my wife got it in both feet although she has not seen a doctor yet. We keep going to the mountains but it seems to bother her more and more.
Read more : Hiking with Morton's neuroma experience | Views : 28638 | Replies : 7

Advise for recovery process/speicalist in the North Bay (SF)

Hello,

I posted the message to the California board and got some useful advise, but I wanted to have a broader audience to give the advise.

I messed up big time last week in the bike accident and broke several bones in my left shoulder (no direct impact on the joint, but broke clavicle, scapula and 3 ribs). Doctors are telling me about at least 6 weeks before I can start physical therapy.

Does anybody ...
Read more : Advise for recovery process/speicalist in the North Bay (SF) | Views : 1598 | Replies : 0

Who will perform best at altitude?

http://www.everester.org/BlogViewer.aspx?Id=ABC9C02F9A8C71CC

A recently published abstract in the journal Wilderness and Environmental Medicine helps scientists get a little closer to understanding who will perform best at altitude. A quick exercise study conducted at the base camp of Aconcagua yielded physiologic predictors that correlated with summit success. Of course, a lot more goes into successful summits than simply performing well at altitude - among the variables that must be considered are whether guides and/or porters are used, ...
Read more : Who will perform best at altitude? | Views : 5908 | Replies : 7

Cataract surgery and high altitude climbing

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of any adverse effects of high altitude climbing after having cataract surgery? I know with lasix surgery there can be temporary blindness. Any help would be much appreciated.
Read more : Cataract surgery and high altitude climbing | Views : 15013 | Replies : 5

Powdered Peanut Butter?

Has anyone tried powdered peanut butter?

I never heard of it before, but someone said it was good.

I love PB, so I'm curious.

Thoughts?
Read more : Powdered Peanut Butter? | Views : 2404 | Replies : 7

Transaminases

Wich medicines do rise your transaminases' level in blood :?:
Read more : Transaminases | Views : 4466 | Replies : 18

Crevasse Rescue practice with friends, Guide book?

Some friends and I have been getting into mountaineering fairly heavily this year and we would all like to go practice our crevasse rescue skills. I was wondering if there is an online/printable (preferably free or cheap) resource that outlines what a guided training program would complete so that we can imitate it during our practice session. I've got the freedom of the hills for references, just looking for something to supplement it.
Thanks!
-Peakbeggar
Read more : Crevasse Rescue practice with friends, Guide book? | Views : 6756 | Replies : 12

Prevention and Treatment of Acute Altitude Sickness

http://wemjournal.org/article/S1080-6032%2810%2900114-6/fulltext#abstract

I haven't read thoroughly but I imagine a resource that should help resolve a few debates.
Read more : Prevention and Treatment of Acute Altitude Sickness | Views : 3655 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557933 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136368