Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:40 am

News News of Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Site map of Mountain Medicine & Rescue » Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.

cold injury question...

today i had a close encounter in the backcountry. id rather not get into the details, but i managed to lose a glove on my way up on a climb at which point i abruptly turned around. it was pretty windy and cold and before i knew it my hand was numb. my hand was exposed for a good 20 minutes trying to climb down before my buddy let me borrow his glove and warm ...
Read more : cold injury question... | Views : 735 | Replies : 4

Black toenails and drilling

I had a black toenail from a trail run Wednesday, followed by a snowshoe Saturday. A big toe was seriously throbbing and inflamed, so today in desperation, I tried a trick that even my internist recommended: I drilled holes through the toenail.

I started with a hot paperclip (red hot initially), and when I felt the pain of the heat, I stopped and finished with a small drill bit turned by hand (after treating the ...
Read more : Black toenails and drilling | Views : 15064 | Replies : 19

Is it good trying to waken an unconscious person quickly?

I mean to a person who has lost consciousness because of a hard fall, mainly if he/she hasn't external wounds. How fast must be the awakening :?: How should it must be done :?: Methods :?:
Read more : Is it good trying to waken an unconscious person quickly? | Views : 4923 | Replies : 6

This morning I discovered what I believe to be a hernia. Not sure how/when it occurred; I can't recall any recent pain nor am I in pain currently. I understand hernias usually require surgery to fix. My questions:

- how urgent is it to get it looked at/fixed (am leaving today for week+ trip)?

- How long would post-op recovery take (ie how long would it limit my climbing/training)?

Thanks for any input!
Read more : Hernia? | Views : 10645 | Replies : 16

The "cons" of not being diligent with sun block...

or wearing a beard and thinking you don't need it...
Read more : The "cons" of not being diligent with sun block... | Views : 1770 | Replies : 12

Cure for Insomnia

I was complaining to a friend about my insomnia a few months ago. (I've had it ever since I can remember)

My friend said he used to suffer from insomnia but is now cured. He told me a method for falling asleep that I thought I'd pass on, because it seems to be working for me, too.
I thought it might work well for SP'ers. So, I pass it on. Here goes:

As your falling ...
Read more : Cure for Insomnia | Views : 2183 | Replies : 21

Piriformis Syndrome

Over the last several weeks I've developed piriformis syndrome; which is the constriction of the sciatic nerve by a small hip muscle, the piriformis. I used to get this occasionally after snowboarding or climbing and I'd sit in the car driving for hours, but now it's non-stop. Getting out of bed is excruciating. My new job has me sitting at a computer for long periods of time which probably contributes to this if not causing ...
Read more : Piriformis Syndrome | Views : 1793 | Replies : 5

Pain in my back, to the left

I went for a 7 hous hike in the snow on January 21st carrying a medium weight backpack. Probably I tightened its left stripe more than the right. That night I slept on a bed wich has no spring matress, only a table below. Since the day after that hike I've had true pains in my back just around my left shoulder-blade. I've been taken Ibuprophen, Paracetamol and Myolastan at nights. I'm also eating many ...
Read more : Pain in my back, to the left | Views : 5642 | Replies : 17

Safety Requirements

Hi All;
I'm doing a little research on mountain climbing, and understand Denali has a requirement of watching a safety video before ascending--appears to be part of the check-in process everyone must go through. Do other parks have similar requirements?

Thanks, TK
Read more : Safety Requirements | Views : 732 | Replies : 6

avi terrain decision making survey - help a PhD student

Received this from the Co Avalanche Information Center (CAIC):

Shay Bright is a Ph.D. candidate working on how groups of backcountry recreationalists make decisions in avalanche terrain. Please help her collect data for her dissertation by filling out a short survey. The survey will be online for one more week . Please check it out!

Your answers to the survey should come from one day when you were out ...
Read more : avi terrain decision making survey - help a PhD student | Views : 904 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Total posts 516091 • Total topics 30828 • Total members 100874

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.