Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:07 pm

News News of Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Site map of Mountain Medicine & Rescue » Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.

Genetic Defense

A new study indicates that Tibetans have developed certain genes that help defend against the effects of high altitude. Pretty interesting -- might lead to therapies for pulmonary/cerebral edema. Anyone know of similar studies?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100513143453.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Latest+Science+News%29&utm_content=Google+Reader
Read more : Genetic Defense | Views : 1118 | Replies : 6

Need help understanding how blood "thickens"

Blood plasma is mostly water, perhaps it is due to dehydration, and not the altitude itself.

I read about a fatality in Death Valley a few years ago, the guy collapsed less than 1/2 mile from his vehicle. The article explained he likely passed out due to being so dehydrated his blood thickened and couldn't get enough oxygen to his brain- if I am remembering correctly.

I'm sure someone will have a better, more technical, ...
Read more : Need help understanding how blood "thickens" | Views : 1621 | Replies : 2

Ankle Sprain Recovery

Hoping someone who has had a few sprains could help me out.

I sprained my ankle a few weeks ago--this was my first time so I'm not sure how to treat it--and I'm trying to get it back into mountaineering shape.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I'm wondering if it would be a good or bad thing for my recovery to use an ankle support for protection...or would this hurt the recovery by ...
Read more : Ankle Sprain Recovery | Views : 9876 | Replies : 15

Eating

If one doesn't eat much, but still moves a lot, what's the lower limit before it becomes dangerous? Does anyone know?
Read more : Eating | Views : 5534 | Replies : 68

Interesting new injury

...or maybe not. Is to me, at least. I tore a calf muscle about 3 weeks back and the thing's taking forever to recover. Any suggestions on things that've helped any of you? If I had to guess I'd say it's a grade 2 tear... swelling but no bleeding, lots of pain but the muscle's not bunching up or hanging. Getting better but really slowly and flexing still hurts. Ideas?

Thanks -
Read more : Interesting new injury | Views : 4647 | Replies : 13

dexamethasone in first-aid kits?

Some recent events cause me to wonder if dexamethasone should be in the first aid kits of those going to altitude. I'd appreciate comments on this point.

I realize this a prescription, potentially quite dangerous drug, and one would have to be fairly certain of the diagnosis.
Read more : dexamethasone in first-aid kits? | Views : 2636 | Replies : 15

naughty dogs

Well it's a MB topic, but very SP related. Your advice ?
http://www.mbpost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4104#4104
Read more : naughty dogs | Views : 3423 | Replies : 34

ACL rehab

Hi guys,

I did a search on "ACL" and it appears that a few of you guys have had torn ACLs and gotten back into climbing not long after your surgery. I have a surgery coming up on Friday Apr 9 and was wondering if you could talk a bit about the kind of rehab you did that had you climbing again?

Going in to the surgery, I have strong legs. For example, I was ...
Read more : ACL rehab | Views : 3565 | Replies : 8

total body MRI

squishy wrote:oh I get it, you're a bot...

bad robot...go away...

I kind of like this guy, he's topical.
Read more : total body MRI | Views : 680 | Replies : 0

A practice and a question

I want a strong training program for every day that my body is stronger.
I want my legs and lungs will be strong and firm. And volume of the wrist and abdominal muscles strong to me.
I need a strong program daily.
I am also search and rescue team and must always be ready.
And a question: :oops: What effects on semen out of breath and energy ...
Read more : A practice and a question | Views : 927 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 535990 • Total topics 32774 • Total members 107170

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.