It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:13 pm

News News of Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Site map of Mountain Medicine & Rescue » Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.

Will I get Dain Bamage?

Can you get permanent brain damage due to altitude exposure? just curious if it was completely temporary or if it is cumulative permanent damage...etc. anyone read anything on this?
Read more : Will I get Dain Bamage? | Views : 5361 | Replies : 18

The Earth, Our Atmosphere, And You On A Mountain

I posted a new article with some climatic data <a href="http://www.summitpost.org/article/654545/The-Earth-Our-Atmosphere-And-You-On-A-Mountain.html">here</a>. I couldn't find this type of information on SP so I hope it is of value a least a few for trip planning.
Read more : The Earth, Our Atmosphere, And You On A Mountain | Views : 1533 | Replies : 0

my brother in law is missing on mt whitney

i dont know how appropriate this is for this forum, but my sister just called me to let me know my brother in law is missing on mt whitney. I have very little info at the moment and will post more as i get it. apparently they were supposed to do a 22 hour hike and at some point he seperated from the group with another hiker because his knee was hurting, he had also ...
Read more : my brother in law is missing on mt whitney | Views : 7207 | Replies : 23

AAC Rescue Insurance Survey

Numerous posts in the forum have discussed the pros and cons of the current rescue insurance provided with membership in the American Alpine Club. A survey was developed to gather more information as the club reviews changes to the existing policy. Cheers!

http://inclined.americanalpineclub.org/ ... -benefits/
Read more : AAC Rescue Insurance Survey | Views : 3672 | Replies : 3

Some common plants and their medicinal uses.

Over the past couple of years I have done alot of research into plants, in my area anyway, that are edible, have medicinal uses etc. I was interested because I think it's always good to be as prepared as possible when hiking, etc. I thought I'ld post a couple of fairly common wild plants (again stuff located in my area, Eastern Canada, but also other places). Always check before trying any wild plant for consumption! ...
Read more : Some common plants and their medicinal uses. | Views : 25541 | Replies : 12

Males with a history of HAPE still needed-Ages 18-55

UC Davis graduate student doing a study on HAPE and needs individuals who have had it before to participate. Free VO2 max, travel, and Echocardiograph of your heart. Study will consist of two visits, both in the Sacramento/Davis area, where you will breathe hypoxia. Two exercise bouts will also be performed, while breathing normal air.

If you are interested, or know of anyone who has had HAPE who may be interested, please contact Jenni Figueroa ...
Read more : Males with a history of HAPE still needed-Ages 18-55 | Views : 1895 | Replies : 1

China climb - altitude sickness other tips

I am not an experienced climber but am going on a guided corporate trip to china next month to 20k ft. I am looking for any tips esp. related to avoiding altitude sickness. I read about acetazolomide but my Dr. had never heard of it. Is this advised? Do I need a find a Dr. to prescribe/etc. Other tips or things I need to prepare for? Thanks, Jon
Read more : China climb - altitude sickness other tips | Views : 2929 | Replies : 2

alternatives to Global Rescue for backcountry insurance

Does anyone know of any alternatives to Global Rescue for annual domestic backcountry insurance that will cover higher risk activities (like climbing)? A friend mentioned Calstar a while ago but they appear to only cover NoCal. Most of my climbing is in the E Sierra. There's an older thread here mostly around Global Rescue, but the alternative companies mentioned are for Canadians. My main concern is that they need to coordinate everything (i.e. if someone ...
Read more : alternatives to Global Rescue for backcountry insurance | Views : 23854 | Replies : 37

When to report missing hiker/ climber/ mountaineer?

Do you leave a detailed itinerary with a friend or family member, with an agreed upon arrival time?

When should a friend or family member report that you're "missing"?

What is your practice?
Read more : When to report missing hiker/ climber/ mountaineer? | Views : 22248 | Replies : 13

Tibetans high altitude adaptation

Thought folks might find this NPR article interesting. It is on how the Tibetan's bodies have adapted to high altitude.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/07 ... pters-ever
Read more : Tibetans high altitude adaptation | Views : 3763 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557944 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136394