It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:37 pm

News News of Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Site map of Mountain Medicine & Rescue » Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.

Headed for RMI W-EMT

Call it an early midlife crisis, or just call it tired of the same old daily bs..... but I'm quitting full time work after the end of the month and heading back to school. First off, taking an AHA CPR/First Aid Instructor course so I can teach basic and make a few bucks here and there. Next up is some technical rope work and rope rescue classes. In January, I'm enrolled in the Remote Medical ...
Read more : Headed for RMI W-EMT | Views : 6679 | Replies : 8

Low ankle sprain, or what?

Any ideas? Here's the problem:

About 11 days back, after a day of sitting in planes and rental cars, I walked across 5' of lawn and had a sudden sharp pain on the outside of my right foot, in the area indicated by the green mark below:

The pain is hard to localize; it is obviously referred, but is perhaps a little forward (toward the toes) of the green mark.

A day later, I ...
Read more : Low ankle sprain, or what? | Views : 8654 | Replies : 5

Mt. Rainier Helo Rescue 6/25/11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvfN3SuFt3k

I got to witness a helo rescue on Mt. Rainier on Saturday. A climber fell through a snow bridge on the DC route and broke his leg. My climbing partner is a former climbing ranger for Mt. Rainier and assisted the current rangers with the medivac. I shot this video with my Contour video camera.
Read more : Mt. Rainier Helo Rescue 6/25/11 | Views : 4984 | Replies : 4

Parasitic symptoms and treatment, anyone?

Anyone ever contracted any type of stomach/intestinal parasite?

I feel like I've picked something up, been to the doctor and they told me to wait it out and see if it got any better. His next course of action was (wanting) to stick a camera up there-- personally, I think that's jumping the gun. Maybe I'm just protective off the 'ole balloon knot.

I spend a lot of time in the mountains and don't filter/boil ...
Read more : Parasitic symptoms and treatment, anyone? | Views : 12257 | Replies : 8

Just finished the RMI WFR class.

Great class, 10 days in Seattle with one day off in the middle. Now to start working on the EMT.

http://mymountainsoregon.blogspot.com/2011/06/rmi-wilderness-first-responder-class.html
Read more : Just finished the RMI WFR class. | Views : 2837 | Replies : 2

Plantar fasciitis!

Hey, any of you ever suffered through this shitty affliction called Plantar fasciitis?
I'm pretty sure that's what I've got, mild to medium case, and probably developed it over time by wearing a pair of boots/shoes that didn't have much support from the inserts, which were flattened out.
Anyway, the symptoms are that when I hike, etc. I get a good dose of pain on my right heel and foot, esp. the day after exercising ...
Read more : Plantar fasciitis! | Views : 14222 | Replies : 27

Grapefruit repels insects!

So, I heard on NPR the other day that grapefruit juice has a nerve toxin in it that is harmless to us, but insects hate it.
In fact, if they land in it, they die.

:twisted:

Got on the CDC website to confirm, and DANG if it's not true.
:twisted: ...
Read more : Grapefruit repels insects! | Views : 15157 | Replies : 19

Toenail-less big toe=cold

I lost the toenail off my big toe last summer in a dirt jumping accident, and I don't think it's ever going to grow back properly (it's...sorta there). I noticed this winter that it gets abnormally cold now, and while all my other toes and other foot will be happy, it will be cold (for whatever reason). This may be a gear question or a medical question, but any suggestions for making a single toe ...
Read more : Toenail-less big toe=cold | Views : 31772 | Replies : 35

Any advice on tackling Fear of Heights?

I am 32yrs old and never had a problem with heights until around 5 years ago when I climbed a tower in central Lnodon and had a sudden bout of terror stricken fear of heights. SInce then, I can't bear even the thought of being on the balcony of a tall building.
I love the outdoors and would love to go climbing with my friends but get freaked out at the sign of a sheer ...
Read more : Any advice on tackling Fear of Heights? | Views : 10613 | Replies : 6

Knee blowout?

I know the general response will be to go see a doctor for an x-ray, however there's not one in town for another 2 weeks as he flys in between small communities way up north... Just seeing if anyone else has had this...

Blew my tool placement on a hard mixed climb yesterday, the sudden shift in body weight onto my knee in a contorted position created quite the sensation of pain. Had to slowly ...
Read more : Knee blowout? | Views : 10811 | Replies : 7

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557928 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136357