It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:14 pm

News News of Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Site map of Mountain Medicine & Rescue » Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.

Re: How should a belayer deal with an injured leader?

The recommended tie off method (in Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills 7th ed; see pg 185-186 ) is to use a prusik attached to an anchor to unweight the rope to the belayer and then tie off the rope to the anchor using a figure 8 or something similar.
Read more : Re: How should a belayer deal with an injured leader? | Views : 3422 | Replies : 5

THC and altitude

There are people here who are much more intelligent than me and I am hoping this might pique their interests. It was stated on the Ritalin thread that Ritalin is a vasoconstrictor and might lead to more complications at altitude. This got me thinking about another drug that is commonly used in the mountains and the effect it might have on performance since it seems that the pot smokers of our group of climbers cope ...
Read more : THC and altitude | Views : 30050 | Replies : 12

Sciatica or butt muscle pull

I pulled/activated something bending over to pick something up in the upper part of my butt/lower back.

Someone said I might have sciatica.

Anyone have any experience with it and how to treat and when you can get back to activity?

Does it go away?

Anyone know the difference between sciatica and a pull, like where your hips are in your lower back?

Someone also mentioned that it could be a hamstring pull?

I did ...
Read more : Sciatica or butt muscle pull | Views : 7316 | Replies : 3

How high can hurt my brain How high can hurt my brain

Hi everybody
I live in a city with average height of 1400m above the sea level. Here peaks are not higher than 5700m above the sea and I climb them in a day or two. I've got Mountain Sickness before. I remember many times when I wanted to stay at 4000m for a night, I'd got an easy headache, and sometimes it'd got to AMS. Now a day I feel good with no headache or ...
Read more : How high can hurt my brain | Views : 6043 | Replies : 10

Question

I almost hate to ask this, because I feel like I'd be letting my condition win, but, I am getting interested in rock climbing, and feel like it needs to be asked. I have a few conditions, which may, or may not impair my ability to climb. I have a frontal lobe injury, from an accident, when I was a kid. This also resulted in depression, and seizures, both of them, I have gotten under ...
Read more : Question | Views : 1685 | Replies : 2

Re: How do they rescue cavers?

KristoriaBlack wrote:What's the president? Is it possible to get an injured caver out of a cave, or are you pretty much screwed should anything happen?

I'm not a caver, but many of my friends were, and I recall they participated in rescues; this one comes to mind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7I7bXcSWK8

There are reasons cavers don't go alone, carry a lot of emergency stuff, and are very careful.
Read more : Re: How do they rescue cavers? | Views : 17642 | Replies : 23

Re: Wilderness First Response

SOLO has a campus up in North Conway, NH though they also teach classes in other locations.

Web site here.
Read more : Re: Wilderness First Response | Views : 2789 | Replies : 7

Shoulder Seperation grade 4

Anyone have any experiance witha grade 4 shoulder seperation?
Gravity still works, I had a collision with earth.
The treatments range tremendously. Screws, Dacron tie down, Tendons used as a tie down, Cadaver parts.
I Would like to know what works best.
Read more : Shoulder Seperation grade 4 | Views : 1454 | Replies : 1

Anyone taken a course with SOLO in NH?

Is anyone familiar with the medical training company SOLO based in North Conway, NH? I'm thinking of taking their WFR course this winter. Would love to hear some feedback. If it makes a difference, I'm a street EMT with almost 10 years experience, about 1300 calls, lots of backcountry experience as well. As I understand it, their WFR allows me to convert my EMT-B into a WEMT.
Read more : Anyone taken a course with SOLO in NH? | Views : 3287 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557928 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136356