It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:51 am

News News of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Site map of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY) » Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.

Grand Teton climbs: early summer 2024

Hi, I fully aware that weather is subject to change, but I`m planning a climbing trip to Grand Teton sometimes between end of June and mid-July. Generally speaking, and would like to get a feel of what we can expect generally:
- what type of routes would be good (ice, mixed, rock)?
- What type of weather should we expect (temperature wise, afternoon storms more frequent?)
- Are routes such as Black Ice Couloir, Owen ...
Read more : Grand Teton climbs: early summer 2024 | Views : 923 | Replies : 0

Favorite Winter Climbs in Wyoming?

It seems like most of this forum is dead, but maybe I will get some replies. Do you guys have some favorite winter climbs, preferably for ski mountaineering?
I am planning to hit Bighorn Peak since the slopes are pretty mellow. However, it seems most of the more iconic peaks in the state have more avalanche risk than I care for.
Read more : Favorite Winter Climbs in Wyoming? | Views : 1067 | Replies : 1

Confirm that this is the Whitefish Range from Whitefish Lake

This was taken in 1978 in the Flathead Valley. Flathead Lake residents say they don’t recognize it. I did not go north of Whitefish that trip so could this be Whitefish Lake. These do look similar to Big Mountain in structure and geology.
Read more : Confirm that this is the Whitefish Range from Whitefish Lake | Views : 1412 | Replies : 1

Granite Peak conditions

I'll be attempting Granite Peak from the east the first week in August. Sounds like it's been a big snow year, so I would appreciate any beta on expected conditions by then.

Many thanks.
Read more : Granite Peak conditions | Views : 1713 | Replies : 1

Recent beta on Borah Peak

Looking for recent conditions on above? Via COR?
Read more : Recent beta on Borah Peak | Views : 3580 | Replies : 1

Montana Beartooth Range, Beaten Path - Key Swap?

Hello all - I'm planning on doing the Beaten Path with a small group over 4 days this June (6th to 9th, to be precise). We're planning on parking a car at each end if we have to, but I was hoping to find someone going around the same time who would be interested in a key swap at the halfway point to shave off ~3 hours of driving on the back end.

If so, ...
Read more : Montana Beartooth Range, Beaten Path - Key Swap? | Views : 1605 | Replies : 1

Need beta on the pass south east of Island Lake in the Winds Need beta on the pass south east of Island Lake in the Winds

Hi all!

Planning a big trip next year and need some beta about the pass between Mt. Lester and Elephant Head, southeast of Island Lake in the Wind River Range, Wyoming. From the topo map the pass looks very accessible from the Island Lake side however I can't tell how rugged it is on the Wall Lake side.

Can anyone help me? :?:

Christian
Read more : Need beta on the pass south east of Island Lake in the Winds | Views : 2607 | Replies : 1

Death on Gannett

"Thor Hallingbye of Cheyenne was reported missing Sunday morning after getting separated from his group near Gannett Peak on Saturday afternoon. Tip Top Search and Rescue announced late Monday afternoon that his body was discovered in Fremont County." Source

There's not much detail regarding the circumstances but Gannett Peak and the Wind River Range is rugged country. It's really not a good idea to separate from the rest of your group for any reason. Unlike ...
Read more : Death on Gannett | Views : 3452 | Replies : 2

Wind Rivers: Bomber Basin or Goat Flat?

Planning a trip to the Downs Mountain (Wind River Range) area and I'm trying to decide whether to take Goat Flat or Bomber Basin. I've crossed Goat Flat before, how does Bomber-Turquoise Lakes compare for difficulty/time to the base of Downs (from Glacier Trailhead)?

Pertinent, I spoke to someone at the Dubois USFS office today and he was adamant that the trail crew maintains the trail past Bomber Falls all the way to Bomber Lake. ...
Read more : Wind Rivers: Bomber Basin or Goat Flat? | Views : 2630 | Replies : 0

Granite Peak SW Couloir 2020

Post here if you have current conditions on the couloir.
Read more : Granite Peak SW Couloir 2020 | Views : 2624 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557889 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136293