It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:41 am

News News of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Site map of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY) » Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.

Best Teton Range cell service provider?

I try to visit Grand Teton National Park and the Jackson, WY area once a year. My AT&T phone works OK in Jackson but in the Park it really struggles to get a signal. So I'm wondering if there is a better provider maybe Verizon that works better in the Park. I know when up in the Teton range you can't count on any signal but which provider seems to work better? At the Grand ...
Read more : Best Teton Range cell service provider? | Views : 2460 | Replies : 2

Overnight permits in Grand Teton Park anytime soon?

As far as I know no overnight permits are being issued for Grand Teton National Park. So I guess that means if you have to spend the night in the back country you are illegal. Does anybody know if there are plans to start issuing permits? I will probably be there last week of August, first week of Sept. Spending a night up high opens up a lot more possibilities for me. Also, I wonder ...
Read more : Overnight permits in Grand Teton Park anytime soon? | Views : 2347 | Replies : 1

Idaho climbing books

I'm finding a definite smaller amount of climbing or summiting-oriented books for Idaho peaks out there. Does anyone have any recommendations other than Lopez's "Idaho:A Climbing Guide" or "Exploring the Sawtooths: A Comprehensive Guide?" There are a few hiking books out there (100 Hikes in the Inland Northwest, Trails of the Wild Selkirks, Trails of the Wild Cabinets, etc.) but I don't see anything geared towards how to summit the 100 Idaho highest, or the ...
Read more : Idaho climbing books | Views : 3221 | Replies : 2

Cloud Peak - Black Tooth Traverse?

Looking for info on Traverse from Cloud Peak to Black Tooth - how technical is it ? how much time needed? thinking about going up there mid September thanks
Read more : Cloud Peak - Black Tooth Traverse? | Views : 2815 | Replies : 0

Middle/South Teton conditions?

Was thinking about climbing the Middle/South Tetons this Sunday, but was wondering if anyone knew the conditions and if it would be even worth trekking through the snow. I did it last summer around this time, but obviously things are different this summer
Read more : Middle/South Teton conditions? | Views : 2168 | Replies : 0

Cloud Peak

I have a flight to Billings next week and the plan is to attempt Cloud Peak on the standard route via camp at Misty Moon Lake. We arrive arrive 6/26, and have 4 days to play with. Looking for advice and beta as I have never been to the region.

Snotel at the Cloud Peak reservoir seems to indicate snow is melting out at 10k feet with about a foot left and not much accumulation ...
Read more : Cloud Peak | Views : 4574 | Replies : 0

Mount Moran Skillet Glacier approach

I'm interested in getting to the Skillet Glacier on Mount Moran, Tetons in Spring/Summer for climbing not skiing. I've heard that it can be somewhat of a bushwhack and some have had easy time and some have reported that it was very unpleasant so I'm guessing it depends on the route chosen or stumbled upon. I'm looking for directions or map and advice and possibly even better GPS track of getting there from the String ...
Read more : Mount Moran Skillet Glacier approach | Views : 4509 | Replies : 4

Dog on Leatherman Peak in Idaho

Has anyone ever taken a dog up Leatherman Peak in Idaho? I have a Siberian Husky who goes on a lot of hikes and smaller climbs with us but a little concerned about his feet when we get on the loose rock up the mountain. Just wondering if anyone has done this.
Read more : Dog on Leatherman Peak in Idaho | Views : 3174 | Replies : 0

Granite Peak via SW Couloir July 2019

I am an experienced mountaineer and scrambler looking for partner(s) for a trip up Granite Peak via SW Couloir in late July or early August 2019. Dates are flexible.

Please reply with any interest and we can connect via email
Read more : Granite Peak via SW Couloir July 2019 | Views : 3636 | Replies : 1

Baldy, near Hot Springs MT

Going to soak at the Symes this weekend. Curious if there is any alpine or ice climbing on Baldy Mountain or anything near Hot Springs, MT to check out while I'm there.
Read more : Baldy, near Hot Springs MT | Views : 3006 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557889 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136293